PDA

View Full Version : What is this style of story called?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Lemonv1
May 9th, 2006, 04:38 PM
The kind of story where there are seveal main characters, and it the story focuses on them one at a time. Typically, there would be one main event, and all characters lead to it, and you see more links to previous stories as the main story progresses.
It's typically used for tv / cinema, but i figured you lot may know.
Does it have a special name at all?

Expendable
May 9th, 2006, 06:00 PM
MPOV for Multiple Points of View.

You might want to check out Tara Harper's article on MPOV (http://www.tarakharper.com/k_pov.htm).

Rocket Sheep
May 10th, 2006, 01:32 AM
It would work. In fact, in Whodunnit tales each person tells the events leading up to the mysterious crime (incl. red herrings etc) under the guise of telling the investigator and the reader gets to guess at the end before the big reveal (didn't you love those old English Whodunnit shows when you were a kid? I always spotted the clues and the red-herrings).

I'm not sure if it has a name.

Sequential viewpoint is a way I'd describe it.

It reminds me of a story HE wrote. A sf Canterbury Tales type thing... where all the characters were united on their voyage to somewhere else.

What unites your characters?

KatG
May 10th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I would imagine they have some term in the t.v. world for it. Probably you'd be using third person limited as a viewpoint format for it, using each character's pov for their own storyline. That sounds like what you are up to.

There is a structure that has come to be called Rashamon-style, where each character tells what happened to him or her leading up to some main event, thus going back over the same story details, but from a different pov each time. You can check out the animated movie "Hoodwinked," that applies this device to great effect.

It reminds me of a story HE wrote. A sf Canterbury Tales type thing... where all the characters were united on their voyage to somewhere else.

Alright, that's it. We need to get HE published somewhere.

Rocket Sheep
May 10th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Somewhere else. There's 7-Threads, of course, and he's in Neil's Flashspec.

KatG
May 11th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Somewhere else. There's 7-Threads, of course, and he's in Neil's Flashspec.

He complained nobody published him at all, the liar. But doesn't a sf Canterbury Tales sound cool?

Rocket Sheep
May 11th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Yeah... but he left out the Canterbury rugby team and it was about a whole pile of other people! ;) (Kiwis need to be warned about what to expect from these Canterbury Tales).

Hereford Eye
May 11th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Why thank you, ladies. They are currently posted as Tuesday's Tales over in the stories section. Still playing with the rousing conclusion thereto.

In ancient history, when I was a sophomore in high school, we were given a story called "Thirteen Men From Company K." It may have been fourteen men. It dealt with a rifle squad from WWII. The story took place in the barracks where they had taken their basic training and progressed with input, one at a time, from each of the squad members so that the narrative constantly changed POV to the next participant but the plot progressed logically beginning to end. My memory is not real clear whether their input came as someone passed their bunk or there was another device to connect the barracks to the action but - as a sophomore - I was struck by the power of the device to enhance the narrative of the story.
I've been surfing for a couple of weeks to find this one, spurred by something in one of the other threads but I can't find it. You'd think something that was once in an American Lit book ought to be easy to find.

Murrin
May 11th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Is this it? (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553262726/)

Hereford Eye
May 12th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the attempt. Murrin. That is copyrighted in 1985; I was a sophomore a couple of decades before then. That is a book and what I remember was a short story or novella, short enough to be included in a high school text book.