PDA

View Full Version : Gormenghast Miniseries

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

AJ_
May 11th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Has anyone seen the BBC miniseries Gormenghast? I love the books so have been meaning to watch this for awhile. I finally did this week. I was a bit disappointed with it, but I guess all in all it wasn't bad for a TV show. Definitely still prefer the books though. ;)

funky_fantasist
May 12th, 2006, 06:12 AM
AJ, I have it on video - which is sad, as I don't now have a video player! I thought it was marvellous. If I recall correctly (it was quite some time ago) Jonathan Reece-Myers as Steerpike was stunning. (And very beautiful) Also, the actor who played the King... erm... (he was in 'House of Cards?') ... anyway he was really good too. I remember it being really lush and cinematically beautiful - but having that spooky surreal edge to it...

... so all in all, I would say it engendered the same feelings that Peake's books did. Which was a great acheivement for the beeb. Oh, and the music score was really original too.

Why did you think it was disappointing? I'm just asking because I wonder if I'm only remembering the good bits!

AJ_
May 12th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Why did you think it was disappointing? I'm just asking because I wonder if I'm only remembering the good bits!

Not sure why. Maybe because I enjoyed the complexity of the characters in the written word better than they were portrayed onscreen. I'm still glad I watched it though. :)

Zahir al Daoud
June 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I own the miniseries on DVD. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was very impressed with the "making of" features on the second disk.

Hobbit
June 4th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I've got to say that whilst I enjoyed the series and the range of actors/actresses involved, I was disappointed by the look of the series. Glamourous, baroque.... but not how I imagine Gormenghast to be.

But the actors made the best of a difficult job - how do you show Peake's prose in a visual form without losing some of it's impact?

Hobbit

Monty Mike
June 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I also own the miniseries (on the DVD), though in my case have only read the first few chapters of the trilogy which I own in the omnibus edition. It was years after seeing the miniseries when it was first released that I decided to enquire about the book.

It was also Gormenghast in which I first saw Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and since he has become one of my favourite actors (led me to watch Match Point). I felt that his role as Steerpike was just brilliant.