PDA

View Full Version : Any cheap (free) MMORPGs?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Amaunette
May 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I played through the Prophecies campaign in Guild Wars, and I liked it well enough. I especially liked the fact that I only paid $50 for a year of gaming, which is cheap for an MMORPG. But it doesn't have the right style of gaming for me, I want more open PVP and more risk. I used to play Shadowbane and I heard that's now free, so I was thinking of going back to that, but I was wondering if there's any cheap (or free) MMORPG's out there that are worth my time playing them. In my dreams, I would be playing World of Warcraft, but I don't want to spend $ every month on a subscription when I don't have a lot of time to play. Any ideas?

JamesL
May 15th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I know you've already played Guild Wars, but the new instalment called Factions is out, and is really great. And it's still free of course. :)

Amaunette
May 15th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I know, I'm finding Guild Wars boring. Like I said, there's no real risk. And the Factions campaign is only half what the prophecies campaign was, so it's like half a game for the full price.

Muess
May 17th, 2006, 02:41 AM
While WoW PvP is a lot of fun (imho), I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have a lot of playtime since it takes a lot of kills to advance very far up the PvP rankings. When I was still playing (a lot) I would have 1000s of kills a week and the highest weekly rank I achieved was only in the 60s. The weekly rank doesn't really mean anything either; you have to keep this sort of level up for many, many weeks to achieve a high overall ranking.

Anyways, that was just a little bit of info FYI, I know it doesn't really help you with a recommendation Amaunette but I don't know of any games that fit the bill sorry.

Aelden
August 13th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Tibia is okay. I played it for two years, of course, it was the first rpg i ever really played.

www.tibia.com

the graphics suck, but, the playability is pretty good. Its an mmorpg, its pretty fun if you can get used to it but most people dont even play it past lvl 5. If you get to Level 8 you can go to main and you can start to kill people :D

JBI
August 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM
There is pretty much no risk in any game. The only thing I can think of is Diablo 2 (Hardcore, softcore is for pansies) and Runescape. Try out RS if you want, though I don't recomend it. Takes way to long to do anything in that game, and the gameplay is boring and garbage. No system reqs though.

Ivyn
August 13th, 2006, 03:35 PM
And the roguelikes... I was heavily addicted to ADoM for a while. Not a MMORPG but plenty of risk; once you're dead you're dead. Good game if you can get over the shitty/lack of graphics and want to take the time to get used to the controls.

Miriamele
August 24th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Did you ever find a new game to play, Amaunette? I don't know a lot about MMORPGs, in the past the only one I played was Ultima, but I have been playing Ragnarok Online on and off for about a year. I think it's really fun, it does have PvP (you can duel anyone anywhere on most servers) and large-scale guild wars at scheduled times, with a pretty huge world with lots of really imaginative monsters. It might be too cutesy for you though--the game is Korean so the graphics look kind of anime-ish. I personally really like the graphics, because the sprites are not 3-D and I hate 3-D.

I'm suggesting it because there are lots of free private servers out there. They usually ask for donations but you don't have to donate of course.

If you're interested I can suggest some good servers for you. :)

saintjon
August 25th, 2006, 07:44 AM
D+D Online is the cat's ass. It's not free, but it's only like 12$/month I think, the real-time combat is fun as hell, gil sellers have no power to mess up your good times with unique instancing, loot ninjas have no powers with the reserved treasure dealy, and the only people I've seen complain are the ones who play way too much. For someone who can only get on a couple times a week like myself it's ideal (and for those who do play a lot, your 12$ gets you 6 character slots on EACH server, so you can just keep makin new characters if you want til they get the level cap raised, which shouldn't be too long).

Lately they've been putting out a new module every month, there isn't as much content as other rpgs but what is there is golden. There are hardly any "go to region z, collect a couple hundred of monster x til they drop 5 of item y" quests. There is no grinding, no 2 hour runs over endless terrain so your party can kill some stupid crabs or whatever for 5 hours to get half a level. It's all designed around adventure, half the quests take you through places that look like something out of Indiana Jones.

One of the best things is that this game allows rogue-types to truly be rogues. One of the most useful classes to have around, rogues can sneak around damn near anything, disable traps (which are myriad) and open doors for people, making a huge contribution without ever fighting (although most of them choose to).

DDO is all about adventure, and while it isn't flawless it's actually fun, which I haven't seen from most mmorpgs.