View Full Version : Dr. Who: The Empty Child

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

petkusj
May 15th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Unbelievably good show. I liked the fact that it seemed all creepy and supernatural, and yet the Doctor provided a good science fiction explanation for it all, and it still seemed creepy and supernatural.

Jennifer

Hobbit
May 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Interesting to see what the US makes of 'the New Doctor'. It has gone down a storm here in the UK.

You may be interested to know that this episode, it's sequel, (The Doctor Dances) and a number of other Doctor Who episodes - Doctor Who - Dalek; Doctor Who - Father's Day; have been nominated for the Hugo Awards this year.

Hobbit

petkusj
May 16th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I actually got a little moist when Rose tries to keep her father from dying. Not out and out crying, but definitely teary eyed. A first for me for a Doctor Who episode.

What I don't understand is why Christopher Eccleston left after a single season? Is it that he didn't want to be typecast? If that's it, he screwed up. I think he was -- wait for it -- Fantastic!

Jennifer

Hobbit
May 16th, 2006, 01:10 PM
LOL.

Christopher Eccleston has a habit of not outstaying his welcome in series, preferring not to be typecast. (See also Cracker, remade as Fitz in the US). Actually, I understand to get him on an interview is not easy. One of those actors who prefers to let his acting do the talking.

I suspect he won't be doing the rounds at Doctor Who conventions. ;)

We are on the second series here in the UK, with David Tennant. Very interesting, (and different to Eccleston!) but not to everyone's liking. Some of the threads here and on other Forums have been rather mixed, though the series ratings are still going up, with some of the latest episodes the strongest audiencewise to date.

Hobbit

petkusj
May 16th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I am curious how much the shows are being edited for the Sci Fi Channel to fit in the timeslot. Quite often before a commercial break, the cut is abrupt and it's often abrupt when coming back from commercial, like they can't afford to waste any time on a fade to black or chilling music.

A friend, a British ex-pat here in Denver, tells me I can download Doctor Who episodes from uknova.com or some such address. But I can't quite shake the feeling that something illegal is going on here. And I am content to wait for the episodes or eventually get them on DVD.

But I still wonder if some of the emotional content is missing because of the editing.

Jennifer

Hobbit
May 16th, 2006, 01:32 PM
They're probably not edited too much. On the BBC they are shown without adverts for about 45 minutes. Most US programmes run at about 47 minutes the rest of an hour's time being advert time.

This has raised issues - a couple of recent episodes have felt like they're trying to cram in too much into 45 minutes, which in 60 would make a little more sense and perhaps feel a little less rushed.

One point though - The Empty Child was edited slightly when shown on the BBC, but is fully intact on the UK DVD's. There is a sound effect that goes with the changing of the war hospital's doctor's (Richard Wilson) face into the gas mask. Was felt to be too much for Saturday evening family viewing!

Adverts are a concern for many here, as I guess they are with you too. DVD's for Lost and 24 have been sold in large quantities partly due to the fact that you lose the adverts!

Hobbit

petkusj
May 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM
They're probably not edited too much. On the BBC they are shown without adverts for about 45 minutes. Most US programmes run at about 47 minutes the rest of an hour's time being advert time.

Hobbit

Thank you, good to know. I'll keep watching and someday I'll get to see the second season and Torchwood, as well.

JJP

Hobbit
May 16th, 2006, 01:53 PM
No problem.

A couple of discussion threads on Season One:

Doctor Who - what happened? (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13395) and OMG it's true! (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8096)

Second Season: New new Doctor (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13629)

Enjoy the rest of the series. The last couple of episodes are very good.

hobbit

milamber_reborn
May 16th, 2006, 06:59 PM
The Empty Child is my fav episode from Season 1.

I'm hoping that we get Season 2 in Australia next month, but the starting date is still up in the air to my knowledge.

petkusj
May 16th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Gosh, I figured Australia got Doctor Who episodes about the same time as the UK.

Jennifer