View Full Version : The 300

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Gildor
March 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Got round to watching this at the IMAX (Which is mind blowing visually, thats the point I know, but ... I was there, in teh flesh.) in Manchester.

The Plus points ...

-The fighting was very impressive, visually and in execution.
-Nipples
-Nipples
-Nipples
-Good perfromance from Butler, I think the word to describe it is Teethy

The Negatives ...

-They pronounced Leonidas wrong, (Well, to my ears anyway)
-The weird Hunchback Spartan ..... er .. why??
-Some awful dialogue
-Pointless and boring perspective from back in Sparta
-The voice over was grating

Davis Ashura
March 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
-The weird Hunchback Spartan ..... er .. why??

He was a real historical figure who told the Persians the way around the Hot Gates. He was made so grotesque, though, because just that like everything in this film, he was taken to an extreme.

Fuxxy Elf
March 26th, 2007, 11:22 AM
This is one of the few Miller works I haven't read, (odd really since I'm a huge fan of the battle...if you can be a fan of battles:confused: ), but I absolutely loved the film. I agree it was shallow, and there were certain liberties taken with the facts, but what the hell, it was a pulse pounding two hours of action broken up by naked people, what more could you want? What was funny was I took my bro' and he was full of bloodlust, loving all the beheadings and limbs being lopped off, but when we got home, "The 300 Spartans" was on the telly, and he was in hysterics at how tame it was.:D

Wulfa_Jones
March 30th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I've read the Miller original and while I didn't think it was his best work it was't too bad.

The film, pretty much kept to the comic - expanding the role of the queen - but otherwise pretty much the same. I hear they used the comic as a story board, which I can imagine.

I can see why some people complained about it, but I don't think they got it. I mean, it's suppose to totally over the top and not look "real".

I really enjoyed it, some great fight scenes and I really liked the scene when the two armies first clashed togeather.

I did think Butler sounded a bit like Sean Connery sometimes... and they guy who tells the story - this voice didn't suit this face at all, expected someone older!

saintjon
March 30th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Yeah same here.

I've got to say, it's a whole different movie when your high school team is the Spartans and you go with a bunch of people from your town lol.

I think it was a much better use of CG to have it make a character of the land as opposed to well, making characters of character models.

Ouroboros
April 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM
I saw this when I was in London on Thursday. Had the cinema to myself as it was a midweek matinee!

Anyway...

Clearly it's a very sumptious movie visually, that goes without saying- Although at times I couldn't help but feel feel that it all started to look like one of those old computer games with only a seven or eight colour range. Everything is muddy red, brown and gold. In 'Sin City' the way in which colour was used felt considered and deliberate, but here it didn't do it for me in the same way. Considering the important of the geographical location of Thermopylae to the plot, I think something was lost in not showing the full beauty of harsh coastal dawns, twillights and nights.

At times I think they went a little heavy on the slow motion, although arguably this did enable us to really appreciate the actual depth of some of the choreography. There is a scene where two of the younger Spartans kill approximately two dozen or so Persians one after the other. The way in which the scene is shot appears to indicate that it was all done in one take. If you understand a little about combat choreography this is actually a really impressive feat (one of the best comparable examples is when River beats the crap out of a similar number of Reavers in 'Serenity'), requiring perfect timing, good memory, athleticism and ... er... usually a couple of dozen takes.

There are a few things that have kind of always niggled me a little about this project, although I'm reluctant to bring them up. Most of them involve me wanting a different film than this ever promised to be. It's a Miller adaption, pure and simple, and best described as a fantasy-myth take on Thermopylae. Anyone who wants to see Spartan heavy armour, phalanxes and an attempt at capturing the astounding historical basis for 'The 300' will probably have to wait and see if Michael Mann's 'Gates of Fire' ever gets off the ground.

I also want to say that while I think the government of Iran criticising this movie as containing fascist undertones is self-evidently a little ridiculous (a fine example of the pot calling the kettle black), there were things about the movie are worth criticising.

Someone has tried to have their cake and eat it in terms of the Spartans, for example. The fact that what the Spartans did probably preserve Greece as the cradle of democracy is implicit throughout the movie. Except... I couldn't help but feel at times that I was watching some bizarro propoganda movie in which a bunch of ubermensch beat the crap out of all and sundry while overseen by their benevolent dictator (Gerard Butler). Meanwhile, back home the government is composed of old men, bureaucrats, women and traitors. The criticism of Xerxes' empire comes thick and fast, but as far as I can see the Spartan society we see is just as despotic (although all their slaves are airbrushed out of things), only better-looking.

I also couldn't help but laugh at the part where Gerard Butler's character mentions the Athenians in disparaging terms as being 'boy lovers'. Why the re-writing of history? As I understand it pederasty was a common practice in Spartan society.

James Carmack
April 2nd, 2007, 10:43 PM
When you're Spartan, even pederasty oozes with machismo, unlike those fruity Athenians. ^o^ Anyway, it's not like they were the Thebans or anything. (Then again, the Sacred Band was a rather formidable unit...)

Holbrook
April 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM
could not resist ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2t58CRmbU

James Carmack
April 10th, 2007, 06:11 AM
For more fun, look up the PG trailer.

"Brush your teeth!"

^o^

Blackadder
August 20th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I just saw the movie for the second time now (saw it first a long time ago now), and I was once again astonished! I just loved everything. The music, the theme of glory, hope, death and the marvelous fighting scenes were you can smell the professionality (if that's a word) of the soldiers profession.

After watching it now, I want to watch a film like it. Of course, there are no film like it, but as similar as possible. I think the word I am looking for is "Epic". I want a movie who contain even one small part of what the "300" movie is about.

Before making these suggestions, I could name a few movies which would fit this beforehand. Those that I have already seen (and enjoyed):

Gladiator
King Arthur
LOTR (obviously)
Troy
Alexander
Braveheart
Rob Roy (eehm.. well)

Do you got something for me?