View Full Version : The 300

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ouroboros
May 18th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Recently posted is this journal / teaser #5 for the latest comic book to make it to the big screen: 'The 300', telling the story of the Spartan stand at Thermopylae.

Interestingly, this featurette focussing on the stunt work. I'm surprised at the amount of apparent blue-screen work which is going to be contained in the movie.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/feature5/large.html

Looks good, although they appear to have gone in for a worrying amount of spear-twirling and synchonised movement. I would have preferred a little more of a down-and-dirty angle on things, but it's still early days.

The cast also look to be in phenomenal shape. I haven't seen so many six-packs since my last trip to the off-license. The journal on their physical fitness training is also fascinating viewing.

It can be found on the main site: http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/

kater
May 18th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Yeah it looks decent, interesting though they chose 300 to adapt/use - it's quite a brief, stylized, telling of the event and even with it being Frank Miller there can't be too many people familiar with it. I would have thought something like Gates of Fire would have been a far more interesting base to use if it's the storyline they are looking to use rather than the name.

Ouroboros
May 18th, 2006, 06:13 PM
It looks like they're working hard to adapt the visual look of 'The 300'. I think this will be a major way in which this is different from 'Gladiator' or 'Troy', although inevitably this is a movie which is naturally going to appeal to the same demographic segment of the audience as these movies.

Having looked more closely at the main site, and the conceptual art, it seems like they're going to go for an almost Sin-city style fusion of live action with digitally-altered backgrounds.

kater
May 19th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I noticed that with the images of the warriors themselves, as you said there seems to be a lot of blue screen and the style is somewhere between Sin City and A Scanner Darkly - which is to say a fantastic mix if they can nail it. If nothing else it seems to be a project that will explore the live-action/animation mix that is creating an interesting new section of visual imagery in recent cinema. It's quite bold for a relatively small scale film and it could prove a benchmark in terms of cost for such a process. I wasn't overly fussed with the comic but I'm looking forward to see how this film turns out.

Evil Agent
March 13th, 2007, 10:24 PM
So did anyone see "300" yet?

I saw it on the weekend, and it was awesome.

THE GOOD: One of the coolest looking films I've ever seen, the landscapes and people looked surreal! The Spartans looked so wicked, despite their ridiculously toned muscles and insane levels of testosterone. The Persian army looked amazing, as did their strangely androgynous God-King. Visually, it succeeds in every way.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD: The movie is not great in terms of acting, or plot. Nor is it very historically accurate. It could also be called sexist, and possibly racist. But if it is looked as purely as an adaptation of a comic book, I think it succeeds tremendously.

VERDICT: A must-own, for any big fan of epic, ancient battles, violent graphic novels, or the ancient world.

ArthurFrayn
March 14th, 2007, 02:22 AM
doesn't look good from the trailer. it looks dumb.and I like war movies.

Shehzad
March 14th, 2007, 06:06 AM
I enjoyed it. Stylistically well made, with some great action. A fun movie, overall.

Ouroboros
March 14th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Haven't seen it yet ... I don't think it's out here until next week or the week after.

I'm not expecting something historically accurate. This is, as one commentator put it, "A fantasy take on a historical event". The SFX look sensational, and I predict this will do very well ... everywhere except Iran (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1598886,00.html), possibly ;). For anyone wondering, it's worth mentioning that the elements that have pissed of the Iranians (like the depiction of Xerxes as some kind of giant pseudo-transexual) are directly taken from Miller's original "300" graphic novel. Why he chose to depict them that way is anyone's guess, and I think we can rule out him forseeing the current hullabaloo.

I expect the Michael Mann version of 'Gates of Fire', if it ever gets made, will probably be a better bet for something approaching what the 'reality' might have been.

Gildor
March 14th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I've heard one of the lines of dialogue goes something like;

'You have a good thrust'

Between combatants. :p

Its playing at the Manchetser IMAX too, woo, can't wait for this.

Evil Agent
March 14th, 2007, 07:58 PM
doesn't look good from the trailer. it looks dumb.and I like war movies.Care to elaborate? I really get tired of comments calling something "dumb" with no justification or explanation. Especially since you have only seen the trailer. I also don't think you should put a thumbs down icon in your post, when you haven't even seen the film.