PDA

View Full Version : X-men 3 the last stand (possible spoliers!)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 [2] 3

-Asher-
June 3rd, 2006, 11:06 PM
First let me say that I'm not a comic book reader. I enjoyed the first movie, thought the second was weak and X3 was awful.

There is little story here, and what there is makes little sense. Too many characters, too many deaths and too predictable.

Priestvyrce you said Scott/Cyclops was the soul...I didn't get that at all. All he did in the first two movies was whine and complain. (I guess you are basing that on the comics?)

I was left with a few glaring questions

1> Juggernaut - Can someone explain how he got out of the floor? The movie said once moving he couldn't be stopped, yet the girl stopped him and trapped him in the floor. He had no momentum, so no power.(He did have the best line in the film however.)

2> What is the point/power of Beast? - Seems like he was Wolverine with blue hair and a suit.

I think Singer should have stayed with Xmen, he had a feel for the characters and storyline...and Superman looks really bad. I also don't think we need a Wolverine movie, since he was the star (other then Magneto) of these three.

Evil Agent
June 4th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Too many characters, too many deaths and too predictable.I disagree. The new characters were great. But what happened to Nightcrawler?? I was disappointed not to see him.

Juggernaut - Can someone explain how he got out of the floor?I agree, that was a bit strange. But I don't think it was his momentum power, I think it had to be his mutant strength... he just busted out of the floor.
2> What is the point/power of Beast? - Seems like he was Wolverine with blue hair and a suit.I didn't read much of the comics either, but I know that Beast always looked like a blue Wolverine. I think he is just a well loved character that was due for an appearance in the films. He kicks ass as a fighter, and he's also their link to the White House. I liked him.

...and superman looks really bad.I think I agree with you here. Although the second trailer I saw was a tiny bit better, I still don't know about this. I'm not a big Superman fan, for some reason.

I also don't think we need a Wolverine movie, since he was the star (other then Magneto) of these three.You don't think we need a Wolverine movie, because he and Magneto were already the stars. But did you know: They are apparently making a Wolvering and a Magento spin off!

ArthurFrayn
June 4th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I also don't think we need a Wolverine movie, since he was the star (other then Magneto) of these three.

A popular character in an ensemble cast of a financially successful franchise played pitch perfect by a charismatic actor who admits publicly he wants to participate in the spinoff project that will make his character the star of yet another franchise.
No point in doing any movies there. ;)

In addition to that and the Magneto film, there's talk of a Storm spinoff as well.

saintjon
June 4th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I saw it last night, there were some things I didn't like, this new dude doesn't have gift for the creepy/quirkiness like Bryan Singer. Overall I enjoyed it though.

X-men run buck-wild on some random trash mutants for awhile, my BOY Iceman finally gets to shine a bit, and you've gotta love watching Juggernaut go apesh!t on everybody.

Which leads me to say how brilliant is a character like Wolverine in a story like this? With that healing factor you get to see every single whoever go full tilt on him with their powers, he feels every last inch of pain from it, heals, kills them and moves on to the next pain delivery. It's just such a great way to showcase everybody else's powers IMO.

Oh yeah I think the only beneficial side to Beast's powers is that he's like damn strong and really agile. On top of that he's comic-book-genius Jones, he's one of the more entertaining walking contradictions out there IMO. No healing factor or claws though ;)

Evil Agent
June 4th, 2006, 10:58 PM
In addition to that and the Magneto film, there's talk of a Storm spinoff as well.This does worry me. Mainly because I hate Halle Berry, and I don't think she's nearly as attractive as most people say she is.

On the other hand, she wasn't as bad in X-3 as she was before. If they made the script really good, I guess a Storm movie might be okay.

Actually, that could be really cool if they make all 3 of those spin offs. It would be like a 2nd X-Men trilogy, a trilogy of stand-alone stories; Storm, Wolverine, Magneto.

-Asher-
June 5th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I said - Too many characters, too many deaths and too predictable.

Evil Agent - I disagree. The new characters were great. But what happened to Nightcrawler??

What I ment was there were so many mutants that since I'm not a comic book reader I didn't know who they were. All the evil brotherhood mutants, the porcupine guy and his girls, the speed freak who was fighting storm, ect.

As for Nightcrawler, FOX declined to pick up Alan Cumming's option and decided not to include Nightcrawler.

ArthurFrayn - Of course braindead Hollywood will do it, but other than money, what would be the point? If a Prequel, they can't have Wolverine know any more than he did in the first film, and the comic book fan's know his origin story, and would be upset if they changed it. (which you know they would). Marvel, DC and the indepent comics all have so many character's that I, personally don't see what a sequel for the character could bring, other than the aformentioned money.

I have not seen anything about a Storm movie, but did see today that Emma Frost might get a movie.

moira___
June 5th, 2006, 08:37 PM
But what happened to Nightcrawler??
*gasp*:eek: i know!!!!
even if they didnt include him they could have at least made some excuse as to why he was not so much as mentioned.
on second thoughts that could be just as lame as not mentioning him at all

final battle scene
storm:gee we could really use that teleporter guy now to just appear behind magneto and jab him with the cure...
wolverine: mmm...its a shame he decided to go back to the munich circus!

lame-o!

one more thing to say, if the professors alive and magnetos getting his powers back...was there a point to this movie?? i mean except for the fac that cyclops and jean died and wolverine got heartbroken. dont get me wrong i enjoyed the mindless entertainment provided by it but now it just seems stupid!

nitela_anne
June 6th, 2006, 03:06 AM
i liked the movie but it's quite disappointing....

Zahir al Daoud
June 7th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I liked it. The movie was fun. My big problem was the dialogue, which was in general cheesy and clunky at best. My second problem was that the president was a figure of very little charisma--not even as much as Jimmy Carter or George Bush (1 or 2). Then there was the plot hole just how Angel got to Alcatraz in time. He can fly, sure, but not as fast as a supersonic jet!

Then there was the zero-personality of Colossus. It is one of the hallmarks of really fine storytelling, IMO, that minor characters sometimes come to life. Colossus remained a cyper, as did Angel's father really.

My other complaint is very subtle. There was just little less care given to details (like dialogue). One was the make-up. For the first time, Mystique's make-up looked like make-up. Likewise Beast was lacking some small touch of realism that Nightcrawler, for example, did have.

However, in general it was a good movie. A fun movie. Not as good as the first two but better than the vast majority of superhero flicks. Nightcrawler was missed, but after all he was a circus performer not a would-be hero. And I understand Alan Cummings flatly refused to wear the makeup again. Can't say I blame him.

The explanation of Phoenix was fine, albeit thin. Certainly beat out the whole idea of bringing in the Shiar Empire et al. The nod to the Sentinels at the top was fun. I do like how it was set up for another sequel.

saintjon
June 10th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I dunno about that man, if the makeup was good enough for one movie just who is he trying to impress by playing TC about wearing it a second time?

Personally I thought the more embarassing side of the character was by far his accent, which was totally on him.