View Full Version : Xbox 360 Problems

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

kater
June 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM
My brother and I pre-ordered and bought a 360 from the very first batch, it's been absolutely fine until yesterday when it wouldn't boot up any game or DVD. Having had a quick look around various websites I see that overheating is a problem that may be causing mine to struggle. Has anyone experienced these kind of problems or know of people who have?

cheese
June 10th, 2006, 07:49 PM
My brother and I pre-ordered and bought a 360 from the very first batch, it's been absolutely fine until yesterday when it wouldn't boot up any game or DVD. Having had a quick look around various websites I see that overheating is a problem that may be causing mine to struggle. Has anyone experienced these kind of problems or know of people who have?

Well, to put it bluntly it's most likely dead. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you got a extended warranty? Similiar problems have happened to my friends. One of my friends xbox 360 would only freeze when he played PGR3 but eventually it completely wouldn't work. Another downloaded a demo off live and when he tried to play it, he got the rings of death on the power button. All these problems seem to be happening with the first batch of xbox 360's. Supposedly the newer ones being manufactured have all the problems fixed at a much higher success rate...About overheating, was your xbox 360 in a well ventilated area? The main problem with over-heating supposedly has something to do with Microsoft leaving a foil surronding around an important component in the console. Because of it the air can't get to the area properly. If the fans on the xbox 360 were ten percent stronger you would of probably been fine....Mine gets extremely over-heated as well but as of yet hasn't frozen at all.
So many xbox 360's have been failing. Microsoft claims the failure rate is 3-5% but im guessing it is at least 15-20%. If you didn't get the extended warranty it can cost up to $150 in repairs..Which completely sucks :(

saintjon
June 10th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Holy crap, sincerest sympathy if that's the case Kater.

trentdick2882
June 11th, 2006, 08:38 AM
I got one of the consoles from the initial launch, and mine has been fine, but my brother picked one up not long ago and it was dead in less than a week. Luckily he could still trade it in for a new one, but he lost all his save games, etc.

Bond
June 11th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I remember around 1995 Intel released the Pentium and it had that floating point calculation error. Intel received a lot of flak for that and IIRC eventually offered to replace them. Said they learned a lot about public relations from that experience. If what you say is true the problem with the Xbox 360 might be even more serious. I'm surprised I'm not hearing more grousing going on.

They sell extended warranties for video game consoles nowadays? They NEED extended warranties? Sounds like a ripoff only thing is to determine if it's the warranty or the console.

Muess
June 12th, 2006, 07:17 AM
I remember around 1995 Intel released the Pentium and it had that floating point calculation error. Intel received a lot of flak for that and IIRC eventually offered to replace them. Said they learned a lot about public relations from that experience. If what you say is true the problem with the Xbox 360 might be even more serious. I'm surprised I'm not hearing more grousing going on.

They sell extended warranties for video game consoles nowadays? They NEED extended warranties? Sounds like a ripoff only thing is to determine if it's the warranty or the console.

There was plenty of uproar about it. Just Google for 'Faulty Xbox 360' :) Here's one result: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1889279,00.html

kater
June 13th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys although I think you got a little carried away cheese :) The console itself is fine, the OS boots up without problems and I have access to all the other sections of the console bar the disc drive. I rang the MS helpline today and they were suprisingly helpful so far, they think it's basically what I suspected - a problem with the optical lens - so they're sending a courier to pick up and fix my console free of charge within a working week. Can't say fairer than that tbh and if it returns in working order I will be highly impressed and thankful :D Fingers crossed.

cheese
June 13th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys although I think you got a little carried away cheese :) The console itself is fine, the OS boots up without problems and I have access to all the other sections of the console bar the disc drive. I rang the MS helpline today and they were suprisingly helpful so far, they think it's basically what I suspected - a problem with the optical lens - so they're sending a courier to pick up and fix my console free of charge within a working week. Can't say fairer than that tbh and if it returns in working order I will be highly impressed and thankful :D Fingers crossed.

Yeah, im a dramatic person :D. Customer service when I had a problem with my controller was great. I got my controller back repaired and another free controller to compensate for my troubles. Shipping was very quick too.

kater
June 14th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Heh, I know where you were coming from though - when I looked at all the problems listed on the official site and all the horror stories on a bunch of forums it made me stop and think. I'm actually kinda please my problem seems relatively straightforward and that I've had a chance to play it, rather than it breaking down as soon as I got it. Plus it's good it happened now before all the great games come out in the second half of the year :D

kater
June 29th, 2006, 05:40 AM
To update - Microsoft were awesome about it, sent a paid-for courier to collect, guaranteed return within 3-4 working days (which they managed) the console works fine now although all my game saves have been lost but not too bothered by that. One thing was my wireless controller didn't work with whatever changes they made (guessing they changed to the new, cooler chipset) so they replaced that for me aswell - all inside a week. Brilliant :D