PDA

View Full Version : Scif- shows: rate them here!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Mithfânion
June 8th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Just an overview of SF shows which people can rate, I'd like to see how popular ( or not) series are. Rate from 1 to 5, feel free to comment per show.

X-files
Babylon 5
Star trek: Voyager and/ or Deep Space Nine
Firefly
The Taken
The 4400
Battlestar Galactica
The Dead Zone
Invasion
Stargate
Farscape
Earth: Final conflict
Supernatural

Ouroboros
June 8th, 2006, 12:16 PM
X-files - 4.5. Despite becoming a parody of itself towards the end, committing the cardinal sin of going on for too many seasons, this is the daddy of a lot of modern shows like 'Supernatural' and others. In its heydey it set high standards, with serious actors, adult themes and some wonderful stand-alone shows. I was never keen on the elaborate aliens plot arcs, but some of the 'monster of the week' shows were intensely creepy.

Firefly- 5.5. Whedon found his mature voice, post-Buffy, and offered an intelligent, human show which was cruelly cancelled before it found its audience. Spawned what is arguably on of the best SF movies of all time. Lives on after death through impressive DVD sales.

The 4400- 3.5. Workman-like post-9/11 stuff with obvious nods to the X-files ... and a lot of teen shows and melodrama shows, unless I'm mistaken. A little toothless at times, but watchable enough.

Battlestar Galactica- 4.5. Awesome soundtrack and visuals, and a few quality character actors to balance out pieces of wood (like the guy who plays Apollo ... jeez...). Not the genre-changing SF show its makers would have us believe, but certainly one of the better series of recent years. I liked the Richard Hatch cameos as well.

The Dead Zone- 3.5. Johnny is played by one of the guys from 'Weird Science', unless I'm mistaken. Bizarre. Repittive but reasonably watchable show. It found an excellent story arc at the end series one, with Johnny encountering a politician with a potentially apocalyptic career ahead of him.

Stargate 1.5. Incredibly annoying cast. Pre-chewed SF-lite for the masses. That it has run for, like, seasons and seasons, while Firefly was cancelled after one demonstrates to me that there is no God.

Farscape. 3.5. I'm not as big a fanboy of this as I might have been. It felt a little drawn-out and belaboured. With that said, how fricking hot is Claudia Black? Yikes...

Earth: Final conflict.0.5. Dated and bland crap. There was a reason Rodenberry never produced this nonsense while he was still alive.

(note 4.5 = 4 out of 5 etc.)

Janos
June 8th, 2006, 02:11 PM
X-files - 4 -I didn't start watching it until halfway through the show so I had to play a lot of catch up. I really liked the uniqueness of most of the episodes (other than the recurring arcs).

Babylon 5 - 3 - Didn't see it until it was out on DVD. As a result, I heard tons and tons of hype about it and that raised the bar of my expectations to a high level. When I actually saw the show, it just didn't live up to my expectations.

Star trek: Deep Space Nine - 5 - My favorite Star Trek. I loved seeing the darker side of the Star Trek Universe. We always previously saw the Federation at Peace (with some nasty neighbors). In DS9, we see the Federation at War. While I did like that they started arcs ranging across entire seasons, I did miss the individual episode style of TNG.

Firefly - 10 - Wow... I can't even say anything good about Firefly because anything I say pales in comparison to how good that one season is.

Battlestar Galactica - 1 - Trite dialog and melodramatic soap opera acting that made me cringe turned me off on this series. I've seen the occasional epsiode now and then and I'm glad I never watched it. Good music though.

Stargate - 5 - Great for the first 5 seasons. It's shown quite a bit of depth in character development since the season started. Unfortunately, the good writers left and seasons 6-8 were subpar to the previous ones. However, new cast members and new plot arcs have really breathed life into. It's one of the few TV Shows on that I enjoy watching.

Farscape - 4.5 - At first I thought it was cheesy with all of the the puppet cast members, but after my friends kept telling me I should watch it I did. It grew on me quite quickly. I loved the acting and interplay between characters.

Earth: Final conflict - 1 - I tried watching it, but it just was too silly. I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to buy it.

Boll Weevil
June 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM
1. Twilight zone, more ideas than you can shake a stick at.
2. Babylon 5. Politics and LOTR in space. Seasons 2,3 and 4.
3. Battlestar Galactica. Moody and mean.
4. X-files. Early seasons.
5. Star Trek. TOS. Series 1 & 2
6. Space 1999. Season 1. Absurd premise, and bad seventies style clothes, but very good special effects and some excellent episodes.

After that it was individual episodes of various Sci fi series.

PlanetRetcon
June 8th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Of those I've watched:

X-files
-Seasons 1 & 2: I haven't watched
-Season 3-The movie: 5. Wonderful, suspensful, funny, well written.
-The movie-The end: 1. Mulder, here's the shark. You'll just need to jump over it...

Babylon 5
-Season 1: 4. The sfx are a bit dated and the acting is off sometimes, but the stories are great.
-Seasons 2-5: Don't know yet, they're next in my Netflix queue. Yes, I made it over a decade before even attempting to watch this show. No, I don't know why.

Star trek: Voyager
I like this show more than many other people do. I think it captures the feel of "out there alone in space" better than any other series, including TOS. Though, I just watched season 1 on Netflix recently and it wasn't that good. I started watching sometime after 7 of 9 joined the crew.

Star trek: Deep Space Nine
I call it Deep Space 90210

Firefly
I listen to BOTH Firefly podcasts, to this day. I think, had it continued, it would be the best SF TV series of all time.

The 4400
I'm in the midst of watching Season 2 now (Just finished DVD 1, and am trying to TiVo the rest so I can free up a few spaces on my Netflix queue), and am loving it.

Battlestar Galactica
This show was a 5 up to the end of season 2. I don't know why, but the end didn't sit that well with me

The Dead Zone
I love this show, but kinda forgot about it. Did it go off the air?

Stargate
Another favorite of mine, and another that I totally missed originally. I"m in season... 7 I think.... Now in Netflix and am chugging through. Can't wait to start watching Atlantis.

kater
June 8th, 2006, 06:15 PM
X-files = 4.5: As Ouro said the first few seasons were superb and although it dragged it's feet in the end, particularly with the Mulder/Scully relationship, some of the ideas were fantastic in both senses.

Star trek: Voyager and/ or Deep Space Nine = 2: Equally ridiculous and staid, with a few nice ideas - re-humanising(?) a Borg, that couldn't save either from run-of-the-mill. The black sheep of the Star Trek family by some considerable distance.

Firefly = 5: Genius, it doesn't get better.

The Taken = 4: Suprisingly enjoyable, big budget and slow in places but it all fits together nicely.

The 4400 = 3.5: Grown on me, the mish-mash of fantastic and mundane is well used and although the story continues to verge on being too 'out there', very easy way to spend an hour.

Battlestar Galactica = 5: Right up there, a remake of a popular old series yet doesn't play by any set of rules, is more unpredictable than Mike Tyson and offers plenty of bang to go with the 'no way' factor.

The Dead Zone = 3: Great concept to begin with that has begun to drag, to me TDZ is a wasted opportunity to do something a little more daring.

Stargate SG-1 = 4: Too long? Yep. Wasted in many ways? Yep. Still good to watch although the big end of series always annoying? Yep.

Stargate Atlantis = 2.5: Wasted, wasted, wasted - John is no Jack, the Scottish doctor is totally out of place and Rodney needs to die on his next away mission.

Earth: Final conflict = 0.5: Poop, smelly poop. It gets half a mark for teaching me the word atavistic.

Zahir al Daoud
June 8th, 2006, 10:29 PM
X-files 4.5 (at its best--more often just a 4.0)
Babylon 5 4.0 Genuinely ground-breaking and at its best among the best SF ever made for t.v.
Star trek: Voyager 3.0 I liked the characters.
Deep Space Nine 3.5 I liked the characters and loved it when the show took chances (almost the only TREK to do so since the originals series)
Firefly What I saw gets a 3.5. From what I've heard I might give it a 4.0 or 4/5.
The Taken Eh. 2.5
The 4400 Eh. 2.5
Battlestar Galactica The original--0.5 (made LOST IN SPACE look kinda serious). The remake--4.5. Has become a standard by which to judge future t.v. space opera.
The Dead Zone 3.0 From what I've seen, it has its moments and is fun.
Invasion No comment
Stargate 3.0 if I'm in the mood.
Farscape 4.5 Just...wow. Broke all the rules and took us for a dizzying ride of wildness and passion and ideas.
Earth: Final conflict 2.0 There were a few episodes here and there worth watching.
Supernatural 3.0 What I've seen has been fun.

Gargy
June 9th, 2006, 05:13 AM
X-files : 4. Paved the way for other mature sci-fi shows. The quality of the show varies a lot between the truly awful and some excellent shows.

Babylon 5 : 4 A classic sci-fi show, though it had some examples of really bad acting. Went from ok to very good when the main storyline with the war against the shadows started.

Star trek: Voyager : 3. More of the same. OK but i'm getting a bit tired of star-trek.

Deep Space Nine : 3 Dared to be different than the rest of the star trek shows. At times very good, but varied a bit too much in quality.

Firefly: 4. Could have been a 5 if it was allowed to continue. A excellent show but was sadly cancelled before it got its main storylines up and going. Hopefully it will live on at least as a series of movies. Serenity was excellent.

The 4400 : 3. Pretty ok show but not that special. Reminds me a bit too much of a lesser version of x-files.

Stargate : 2. I didnt like this show.

Farscape : 5 The true gem of recent sci-fi shows. A superb show that had everything. If i can criticise anything it would be that it at times it goes a bit too much on the comical side.

Rob B
June 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
X-files
I think I watched maybe two episodes and didn't think much of them, so I can't give a fair assessment

Babylon 5
Eh. See X-Files

Firefly
4.5 Like this one a lot. Only problem is that sometimes Joss tries too hard and some things seem a bit forced. On the whole, though great characterization and nice dialogue

The Taken
4 I was really sucked into this upon its initial US run on the SciFi Channell. The first have was wonderful, the storyline was pretty tight. The ending fell apart a bit, but a very solid story.

The 4400
Haven't watched yet, but I may give it a try.

Battlestar Galactica
3.5/4 I liked the initial mini-series a lot. I lost interest after the first few episodes of the first season and came back to and like it a lot.

The Dead Zone
Caught bits and pieces of it. Seems well done, but just haven't gotten into it.

Invasion
2 First episode was decent, but I lost interest after the second or third

Stargate
2.5 If nothing else is on, I will put it on the TV.

Farscape
5 Henson Creature Shop + Humor + Great SFX + Consistent Storytelling = my favorite SF show of all time. Loved it on its first run and I'm making my way through the DVD seasons. Plus, it is one of the few SF shows my wife enjoys as much as I enjoy it.

AJ_
June 9th, 2006, 07:53 PM
X-files ~ 5. Excellent show.

The Dead Zone ~ 3. Good show, but I don't think I saw enough episodes to know if it deserves higher.

Supernatural ~ 2. I tried to get into it, but it was just too much marketed for the teenage audience.