PDA

View Full Version : TV --Deadwood on HBO -- any fans here?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

AuntiePam
June 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM
The new season starts this Sunday, June 11. It will be the last full season. Two 2-hour movies will follow. Whatever happened to cause the cancellation of a planned fourth season, I'm glad the series won't end on a cliffhanger, or with major plot lines unresolved.

Any other SFF Worlders watch this show? It's violent and the language isn't something you'd want your grandma to hear, but it's also the best thing on TV. IMHO, of course. :)

oasis seeker
June 8th, 2006, 07:14 PM
I wound up watching the fist episode by accident and was instantly hooked.

I don't watch TV (except for weather and sports) so it was quite a surprise for me. :)

I have to say however that I became disappointed as the second season progressed. I felt the storylines veered away from the true nature of many of the characters in order to advance plot, meaning more contrived conflict and soap operaness.

I'm not sure how to do a spoiler tag so I won't go into details but while I still enjoyed the series, I felt the first really shone. I just hope they don't really ruin it with the third season.

AuntiePam
June 8th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I wasn't as taken with the second season either, but after reading the articles at this site -- http://mattzollerseitz.blogspot.com/ -- I have a new appreciation for season two.

It would be hard to top the first season, with Wild Bill, Miles and Flora, and Rev. Smith, among others, such great characters. "Listen to the thunder." Still gives me chills.

I'm glad there's another fan here!

Boll Weevil
June 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM
One of the deepest most profound shows on TV. Clever and gutsy, classic HBO. Always waiting for Al though, by far the best character in the show.

ArthurFrayn
June 8th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Yep, can't wait! :D

Ward
June 8th, 2006, 11:33 PM
I've been counting the days till Sunday :)

As for why it wasn't picked up for another season I think its basically about cost, 5 mil an episode (!), and HBO worring about Milch keeping the actors for possibley longer than their renewal contracts because he'll also be starting work on another show. After Rome, Sopranos, and Deadwood I think HBO is just trying to reign in the spending.

Shame, as Deadwood is the best thing they've ever done imo.

AJ_
June 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I tried to get into it, but it just wasn't my thing. I was disappointed because I usually enjoy the HBO series.

AuntiePam
July 9th, 2006, 02:59 PM
The new season has been great -- no surprise there. I've been rewatching Season 2 on DVD. The commentaries are mostly quite good, especially the one with Molly Parker and Anna Gunn, and Milch and Feinberg. McShane and Olyphant -- not so much. They're having fun but have no insights to share.

The extra features were good too. It's nice to see the actors as themselves, without makeup and wigs, and to watch the process. Especially Milch's writing style. I feel sorry for the actors and directors, but they're not complaining. :)

Tonight's episode looks to be bloody.

mrwizard
July 11th, 2006, 04:05 PM
it's on my netlflix list. Hopefully I'll be watching season 1 within the month.

Mithfânion
July 16th, 2006, 04:38 AM
I don't care much for the setting. I'm a huge fan of other HBO shows like Carnivale, Sopranos and Oz, so I had hopes for this one, but it's really not my thing.