PDA

View Full Version : How much can you earn?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Mario25
June 13th, 2006, 01:49 AM
I was asking myself,how much money can writting made you?Now I don't need values up to cent just some basic information (presume you are some average rated writter)?Also do you get fix payment when you sell book to publisher or do you get percentage from total sell of book?

Miriamele
June 13th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Usually Mario, a writer will get royalties from the publisher based on the number of books sold. And they will usually also get an advance payment of these royalties when the book is accepted for publication.

But these amounts are not very much for the average writer. Writers who are fortunate enough to be on the bestseller lists can make a good deal of money, but the rest of them don't make nearly as much. Many, many writers don't even make enough to quit their day job, even if they have several books in print.

So in other words, if you are thinking of writing books in order to make a good living for yourself, you'd be better off looking at a different line of work. Writers do what they do because they love to write, not because it's a lucrative field.

I am not published myself though so I'm certainly not an expert, and I'm not sure as to what percentage royalty payments usually are. Maybe another member can give you more detailed information.

choppy
June 13th, 2006, 06:15 PM
You can make money from writing in general, but the odds are against you in genre fiction.

From Robert Sawyer's website:
"Almost nobody gets rich writing SF, and hardly anyone gets to do it full-time. If you're going into this for the money, you are making a mistake. Most SF magazines pay between three and eight cents U.S. a word for stories, and most first novels in this field get advances of between US$2,500 and US$7,500 and never earn a penny beyond that in royalties. Flipping burgers at McDonald's will make you more on an hourly basis."

I believe Sawyer had actually published six novels and won a Hugo or Nebula Award before he decided he could make writing his full time occupation. And even then I don't think he was making a lot of money.

Rocket Sheep
June 13th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I could tell you the averages in Australia but that might not be much use to you, depending on where you are from.

In Australia, we get paid for borrowings from libraries as well as royalties and in my case the lending right cheque is bigger than the royalty cheque.

Do the UK and Canada still have lending right payments? I know NZ had to stop because they couldn't afford to support starving artists.

Haven't you ever heard of the "starving artist", Mario? The romantic vision of the novel writer who waits on tables and skips meals so they can pursue their dream to become a best seller. Well, it's not so romantic because more writers wait on tables than actually sell books. You only KNOW the ones that sell books because they have publicists.

Expendable
June 15th, 2006, 02:49 AM
There are some who make it big. Stephen King. J.K. Rowling. Arthur Golden. Then there's the authors who are still working.

You might not be an immediate success. You might get back a bunch of rejection slips before your first sale. Even the big names get them. But you'll never know if you don't try.

Writing is like sex. First you do it for love. Then for friends. Finally you do it for the money.

NicSlayer
June 15th, 2006, 03:57 PM
And you need a tissue to wipe your hands at the end (Ink of course)

Mario25
June 16th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the tip folks.I know writting is "dirty" work.I know there are more hungry in work than rich.But I was just asking myself some basics about income out of it.I have a good job.I'm system administrator in one company and I certenatly don't complain about it.I am writting in my free time and I think that my last work is promising so when I'm done I'll try to sell it,but I just come to conclusion I don't know a damn thing about how it all works or pay.So I need some mere basics.

Expendable-You did it first time for love?My,are you an idealist or what?Nice to see it's still exsist in todays world. I thought it happens only in SF/Fantasy books.:D