View Full Version : PS3 - ouch!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

kater
June 15th, 2006, 08:32 AM
So a very well known and normally reliable UK e-retailer (http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/NAVSUB/5-/RegionHome.html) has just started taking pre-orders on the PS3. They're selling a 60GB PS3 (the only type Europe will see) in a package with three games, currently listed as F1, Warhawk and Singstar (all of which they'd be unlikely to sell lots of units of otherwise), for 550 or US $1000 approx or 800 euros approx!!!! The games separately are listed as 50 each, meaning PS3 just went into a whole new category of expensive. Given likely shortages, delivery problems etc tese types of bundles may be the only way to get a PS3 before March/April - which is just absolutely ripping the consumer off. I've a release day PS1 and 2 that have both never needed fixing or replacing and I'm very pro-Sony but this is too much even for me - you could buy a 360 and a Wii for that price or a decent PC that does way more than the PS3. I think Sony have misjudged their pricing strategy this time, however many units they sell and however great the demand is, it's still too much.

Monty Mike
June 15th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Did they offer a non-package price (i.e. just the consol)? :eek:

I can't see many happy Playstation fans when they hear that they'll have to cough up £50 every time they want a new game (which for most gamers is fairly often). As if £40 wasn't expensive enough :p

Does that mean Americans will be charged $80+ per game? Or are they gonna be the lucky buggers who get the same price in dollars (i.e. $50)?! :rolleyes:

Dwemer
June 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM
For those looking for a Blue Ray DVD player, that price still might be better than what you'll pay for a plain ol' player when they come out.

However, I agree for a gaming system that's pretty much out in the stratosphere.

I love gaming as much as the next person, but this time it's going to have to depend on the games on the console and if I can live without playing them. Until I can't, I'll hold off on buying the PS3.

kater
June 15th, 2006, 05:18 PM
That was my point m_m - they aren't offering only the console, if you want one it's probably going to be in a package until well after chrimbo. The other thing is - other than MGS4 - at the moment the Xbox 360 is getting many of the same games as PS3, so differentiating the two consoles software wise will take a while, by which time the PS3 may have come down in price.

PlanetRetcon
June 15th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I don't have an Xbox360 (and price is one of the reasons) but at Wal-Mart the other day I glanced in the display case and I'm sure I saw some $79.99 or whaterver prices.

So yeah. Americans are getting reamed too.

cheese
June 15th, 2006, 08:31 PM
My plan is just to get a Nintendo Wii and an xbox 360 (already have the 360 :) ). Their wont be much difference graphically speaking from the ps3 and xbox 360. Most of the ps3 demos have been pre-rendered and the actual in-gameplay footage hasn't been as good as we the consumers have been told. Obviously the price is a big factor into why im not getting one. I don't want to pay $69.99 or $79.99 (CAN.) for a game. Plus I dont have a care for blue-ray.

Muess
June 16th, 2006, 02:10 AM
http://www.wii60.com/ :D

I agree the bundles are a rip-off but that's not only Sony's doing, it's the UK retailers that are ripping you off. Due to the demand exceeding the supply, the large game retailers like Game and Play only sell bundle deals at release so that they can increase their profits. The worst thing is they always try to bundle in the cheap crap like rubbish games, 3rd party controllers and accessory packs. All the stuff you don't want.

Broken Skies X
August 13th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Although the PS3 will be expensive, i still want one. The 360 games are expensive as well, i hope the ps3 games will at least be a little cheaper, but this is whats it going to come down to, now or later. The PS3 will be superior than the 360 and of course the Wii, so it should be a little more expensive(or understandable) but NOT that expensive, even with its superiority to the other new consoles, I MUST HAVE ONE, it's my number one pick of the 3 new systems.

Sidmyster
August 14th, 2006, 08:00 PM
im not getting one as its a rip off

but someone very close to me has got two pre-ordered in different places and has been told he will get the first batch (he has connections) so hes going to seel one of them on e-bay and that way he will probs get about 800 quid for 1 PS3 thus in theory getting the other one for not cost

kahnovitch
August 15th, 2006, 05:43 AM
One thing I noticed in the old days of consoles was that the more powerful machines are rarely used to their full potential, i.e. then end up with cheap cross platform conversions of popular titles.
Rarely is a game title exclusive to a machine or written to optimise the machine's hardware.
After my first PC, I've been out of the console loop since the PSOne, so has this changed at all?