PDA

View Full Version : Civil War?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

kater
June 16th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Anyone reading it? It's pretty decent so far, seems a little too much like the X-Men film idea of the mutant registration act but it's making for a good story so far, thoughts?

Rob B
June 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I'm not touching it. Ever since the ending of Wanted, I've tried to keep away from Mark Millar's writing. On the surface, this seems like Millar's version of what Moore did in Watchmen, and what was done with the Earth-2 JSA.

kater
July 21st, 2006, 06:51 AM
Well this is seriously turning into the best 'event' I've read, even some of the loosely linked titles that I would never normally read - X-Factor and Thunderbolts, are really adding something to the storyline it's just a pity Marvel are so useless at getting the titles out in the right order and listing what the right order is.

Jaffa
October 19th, 2006, 04:02 PM
So is it worth reading? I havent had a chance to get to the comic book shop recently but I read the opening shot sketchbook for it and it whet my appetite!

kater
October 20th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I'm going to say yes. Since my initial enthusiasm some of the titles have wondered off the ranch - Wolverine's CW tie-in ended up poor and I dislike Ramos drawing style so of them all I thought it was the most tenuous. Frontline continues to be my favourite part of the event along with Amazing Spider-man and Cable/Deadpool but Marvel messed up their planning so the important titles - Fantastic Four, ASM and the Civil War title have been delayed, which was very annoying. Although Punisher is due to join the fary soon, so v.looking forward to see how that works out. It's all very close to being wrapped up - about another two months worth of comics to go - and it seems to be leading into something bigger. I'm still enjoying it but with a little more restraint now. If you're looking for something to get into you could also try Annhilation, another Marvel event going on with some less well known characters (Super Skrull, Nova, Drax the Destroyer, Ronan and some familiar like Thanos, Silver Surfer, Galactus and Nova) but it's twice as good as Civil War and I wholeheartedly recommend it :)

Jaffa
October 25th, 2006, 04:00 AM
I've read the first few editions of the frontline Civil war comic... I got so confused by all the various other editions however I didn't know where to start so I just went for the main one, and my comic book shop being quite small they only have a small stock so lots of editions were missing! The first few editions have been really good I particularly like some of the artwork in edition 4. I'll check out that other reccomendation! thankyou very much!!!

xxx

kater
October 25th, 2006, 05:14 PM
You're welcome, there is a reading order to Civil War so picking up any of the related comics won't help you much :D
Other recommendations would depend on what you like. For Marvel Annhilation is v.good, Planet Hulk is decent at the moment and the end of Civil War will hopefully throw up some surprises. For DC I'm enjoying 52, Deadman, Checkmate and Ion Guardian of the Universe and Wildstorm are doing Worldstorm by relaunching all their major titles, giving anyone interested an easy way 'in', like The Authority (first issue was poo) Gen13, Deathblow, WILDCats and Wetworks, whilst adding Midnighter and one of my favourite comics at the moment - The Boys.

Wulfa_Jones
November 28th, 2006, 04:42 AM
While normally a big comic book reader I've gone back to Uni to study for my MSc so I don't have enough time or money for comics at the moment.

I was really excited about Marvel Civil War, but I've missed quite a few issues now and it'll cost me a fortune to buy all the back issues. I'm going to wait for the "graphic novels" to come out next year.

Priestvyrce
May 17th, 2007, 06:39 PM
While normally a big comic book reader I've gone back to Uni to study for my MSc so I don't have enough time or money for comics at the moment.

I was really excited about Marvel Civil War, but I've missed quite a few issues now and it'll cost me a fortune to buy all the back issues. I'm going to wait for the "graphic novels" to come out next year.

Smart move on waiting to buy the GNs/TPBs that way you can pick and choose,which ones, you want to read. I didn't get all the tie-ins and I'm glad. The whole thing started out with the right idea of asking the question, "What should be done with these super-powered vigilantes?".

I thought that if we had real super beings that we'd wouldn't be cheering them necessarily. But the series blew it. The end of the series just stunk, not because of the ending. But that the series destroyed the balance of the arguement: Should heroes register? It was a pretty lop-sided story in that regards. Tony turning into a scumbag, Reed Richards being unintelligent and unwise.

The Pro side of the arguement turned out to be Government Yes Men(maybe that could be a new series for Marvel...The Yes Men!). Anyway, having such noble characters like Tony Stark and Reed Richards act the way,they did in "Civil War". Just ruined the whole thing for me.

kater
May 18th, 2007, 06:31 AM
I agree and what was equally disappointing was Marvel dragging their entire cast of characters into the story, there were just so many titles with Civil War attached when they didn't need to be (Wolverine as a classic example) that it just became an assault on fans wallets. Then you see 20+ trades for the event and it's kinda sickening tbh, it'd be nice if the big two learned that a big event every year is utter overkill and to leave fans have their own character stories, rather than five lines of dialogue in a six-month event and nothing besides. I think DC have got it right at the moment, using fringe characters in 52 and Countdown (weekly comics with no delays is the way forward) and having some mini-events. Marvel sort of got it with Annihilation and now Silent War but this all-pervasive storyline doesn't really work for me.