View Full Version : Favorite War Movie?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SubZero61992
June 20th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Just what the title says, whats your favorite and why?
I have two: GI Jane and Black Hawk Down. They were both so indepth in military life and I loved it. The war sequence near the end of GI Jane was executed so well I've watched it over and over again. The whole battle of Black Hawk Down I watched three times in one night...best war movies ever to me.
Saving Private Ryan was real good but got boring, unlike these two movies.
http://www.kinomania.ru/movies/b/Black_Hawk_Down/ost.jpghttp://www.unca.edu/housing/images/services/video-game-lending-library/videos/covers/g.i.-jane.jpg

PlanetRetcon
June 21st, 2006, 12:41 AM
Just what the title says, whats your favorite and why?
I have two: GI Jane and Black Hawk Down. They were both so indepth in military life and I loved it. The war sequence near the end of GI Jane was so breath taking I've watched it over and over again. The whole battle of Black Hawk Down I watched three times in one night...best war movies ever to me.
Saving Private Ryan was real good but got boring, unlike these two movies.

Black Hawk Down got a bit tedious for me, and yes, Saving Private Ryan was a bit too long. That opening Normandy sequence though. Man.

As far as my favorite? Platoon. That movie made me glad I was never in a war.

SubZero61992
June 21st, 2006, 12:57 AM
You know, being 14, I never got to see alot of the good ol' war movies like Platoon and Navy SEALs. I got to see Sniper though and although it was good they could of done better detail.

PlanetRetcon
June 21st, 2006, 01:54 AM
You know, being 14, I never got to see alot of the good ol' war movies like Platoon and Navy SEALs.

Good ol' war movies. Geez, now I feel old :D

Seriously, you should check out Platoon. It is good. Full Metal Jacket's pretty good too.

SubZero61992
June 21st, 2006, 02:06 AM
Have you seen Navy SEALs? Is it any good?

PlanetRetcon
June 21st, 2006, 03:28 AM
No. I'm actually not all that big on war movies, and unless one is recommended to me, I'll likely skip it. Navy Seals never even made it on my radar.

Monty Mike
June 21st, 2006, 08:26 AM
Troy is certainly one of my favourite war films :D ;)

Leiali
June 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM
At the risk of sounding older than I actually am, The Great Escape is my favourite war film. It used to be on every christmas on tv when I was growing up. Tarn says Bridge on the River Kwai but who would you choose - Alec Guinness or Steve Mcqueen? The Great Escape was full to the brim of well known actors, and it made me cry - still does when Donald Pleasance is confronted by James Garner about their escape plans. Difficult not to give that one away.
Anyway, both those films are much older than Platoon or Full Metal Jacket! The Great Escape was made in the early 60's not long after Kwai which was late 50's. Go watch them :)

Mock
June 21st, 2006, 10:45 PM
Concerning war in general, The Lord of the Rings—in my opinion, it has the best battle scenes ever made, although Normandy in Saving Private Ryan is a close runner-up. :)

But real war, I'd have to say I liked Enemy at the Gates a lot, a true-ish story on a ridiculously good World War II Soviet sniper.

Evil Agent
June 22nd, 2006, 05:01 AM
I thought I'd be first to mention The Lord of the Rings, but you beat me! ;)

The Lord of the Rings.