PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard the rumors?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

omnina´f
June 23rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Dan Simmons Hyperion is 'rumored' to be headed towards Hollywood. While I'm a Simmons fan and a huge Hyperion one, I would love to see this film (http://www.dansimmons.com/news/movies.htm) underway. As a lover of written words, I also have concerns about this film being underway.

Novels to Movies. Hero's to Zero's? Adaptation from word to film is quite difficult. We've all seen a good novel taken a beating from a horrible film adaptation. Usually the movies come out smelling worse.

To be honest, if it is actually made, I will buy a ticket. I know some faults are unevidable but I hope it won't cut out characters (LOTR), have bad actors (Narnia) and even worse, change the story.

I wonder how different my Shrike will be, compared to the directors?

'But do not listen to me. For I can not even hear myself.'

Solaar
June 23rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
I'm a Simmonds fan myself and would love to see any of his books as films - but they'll never be popcorn blockbusters :D

Also, they'd have to cut one or two threads just to get it in at under two hours... or make a trilogy!

Solaar
fingers crossed

omnina´f
June 23rd, 2006, 03:59 PM
Fingers crossed indeed, Solaar.

It appears 'Ilium,' 'Olympos' (http://www.dansimmons.com/news/movies.htm#iliumnew2) has a better chance. I would imagine the first couple hundred pages of Ilium would watch similar to Fellowship of the Ring's(movie) opening run time. Definitely a good 'character building' aspect if done right.

Priestvyrce
June 24th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Instead of a movie, why not as a TV mini-series? That way, you could get most of the books in and not have to cut so much out or one would think. You'd think that this type of story would be up SCIFI Channel's alley, but the way they treated "Earthsea", I'd have to wonder.

Still if they did do a film, I'd go see it.

ArthurFrayn
June 24th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I just don't see Hyperion or any of that saga as a movie, I must confess.

omnina´f
June 25th, 2006, 09:07 AM
It appears that this is pretty old news indeed. Mostly all articles and 'rumors' I can find are 2 years old. I probably should have searched sffworld.com before I started this thread, then I would have found this. (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6169.html)

But it's still nice to bring back the news! A Scifi mini-series would be a thought. If you could get 4 or 5 hour long slots to devote to Hyperion, and have it commercial free (insert wtf smilie).

'If Hyperion: The Movie is actually made, I will do my best (I'm on the project as a full producer) to get the writers and makers to deconstruct the long tale and reassemble it in new form to make the best motion picture it can be, while being faithful only to the essence of the books' themes and more important characters.' - Dan Simmons, Interviewed by Steven H Silver, July 2003

'But do not not listen to me. For I can not even hear myself.'

Jumbo Frendie
July 9th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Mini-series would be better...