PDA

View Full Version : Space: Above and Beyond?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Mithfânion
June 27th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Amazon recommends me a series I am unfamiliar with but which I should love given other recent acquisitions ( Battlestar Galactica season, babylon 5 and Farsape). I'm also considering the first season ST; Deep space Nine since that seems to be the only worthwhile ST to me.

But is " Space Above and Beyond" any good? How are the robotic enemies done? What are the special effects like, what sort of story is it? Future tech, future worlds? Plottting?

Ouroboros
June 27th, 2006, 08:39 AM
'Space: Above and beyond' ran for two seasons (of a projected five) on Fox in the mid nineties, and was unusually well-made. It cost about two million dollars a show, which may have contributed to its demise. With this kind of budget, the SFX were very good for the time, as you might imagine. The production values in general were on a par with other shows that were happening at the same time, such as the X-files.

Plot-wise, it followed the exploits of a group of marines fighting an interstellar war against an alien enemy, about sixty years in the future. There were other story arcs featuring artificially intelligent androids and test-tube humans, but broadly speaking the series followed the progress of this war. The alien enemy weren't 'robotic', as such, they were these inscrutable guys in full-body suits, nicknamed 'Chigs'.

The show was variously influenced by WWII novels, Joe Haldeman, Robert Heinlein and (some say) The Illiad and The red badge of courage.

The bottom line is that if you like military SF or like the idea of 'Band of Brothers' (in space) then you'll dig this.

MrBF1V3
June 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I will agree with above, and add,

the special effects are good, but they are attached to quality stories. There is actually plot there. The characters are interesting and they get themselves into some amazing circumstances.

Sometimes the series is dark, cynical, non-trusting of authorities beyond the inner circle.

I would suggest you try it, if you don't like it, send it to me:rolleyes: .

B5

kater
June 27th, 2006, 11:29 AM
'Space: Above and beyond' ran for two seasons (of a projected five) on Fox in the mid nineties.

Two seasons? No way I've always thought there was only the one season what with all but two of them dying at the end of the first season
Plus I didn't know it's available for purchase, I downloaded the first season about six months ago because I thought it'd never make DVD. Anyone know more on this?

Hobbit
June 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
There was one season, 22 episodes, though may find some channels split the season into two. The last episode was a two parter, so you could make that total 23.

It is available on DVD in Region 1 (US); that's where I got my copy. :)

Hobbit

Ouroboros
June 28th, 2006, 04:44 AM
It was televised in two chunks when I watched it, I think it was 1996 and 1997, that's where I got the impression there were two seasons.

They squeezed a hell of a lot in there... Some major story-arcs, and potentially resolving the whole Chig / Human war storyline.

Hobbit
June 28th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Yes, the BBC did that, Ouro - and changed days, times etc etc. Made it quite difficult to follow, if you really wanted to.

Hobbit

ArthurFrayn
June 30th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I thought SAAB was terrific. Great cast, good scripts-I just don't think the time was right for military SF. I could could concieve of it having a audience today, but it would be a different show.

-Asher-
June 30th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Good show, FOX gave up on it too soon, and didn't help it much when they kept changing the day and time it was on. Written by a couple of the Xfiles and millennium writers. Look it up on Wikipedia.

I always had a problem with the marines themselves. The were both ground fighters and pilots and this bothered me. I can't remember any other Sci-Fi books/tv/movies in which this is the case.

ArthurFrayn
June 30th, 2006, 11:43 PM
The were both ground fighters and pilots and this bothered me.

Not meant to offend, but this is exactly the military fetish hair splitting that made many of the people I know, not watch an otherwise great show.I'll point out, that for the same reason, Star Trek command personelle go on away missions that they would never do in reality-way too high risk. The dispencing of these protocols is a necessary part of TV/Movie dramatic presentation.It's a show or movie about 3-5 people, not 25.
It seems more so than any fiction, people want their SF miltary fiction, spit shined and polished, ready for inspection at 0500. ;)