View Full Version : Superman Returns

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Amaunette
July 3rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
Has anyone seen superman returns? I would like to see it soon, but I am a little confused. Is it set after the other superman movies (were there 3 or 4 of them?) or does it stand on its own storyline?

sic's mom
July 3rd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Well the hubby and the kids went and saw it the other night and they all loved it. It supposedly takes place between 2 and 3. It has a story all of its own, and I will say my fourteen year old daughter thought the new guy is awfully cute. So when I get time I will have to go see it. Just can't see anyone taking Christopher Reeves' place though.

Evil Agent
July 3rd, 2006, 01:39 PM
I have heard that it is a semi-sequel to Superman I & II. I only remember bits and pieces of the original movies, so I probably won't be able to tell you. But I am going to see the new one today (in Imax-3D, no less). I'll report back with my opinion soon.

Amaunette
July 3rd, 2006, 01:42 PM
Just can't see anyone taking Christopher Reeves' place though.

I kind of think that's why they waited until he passed away to make another movie. I don't know if it's true or not, but the timing can't be that coincidental.

Thanks for your advice. I will still wait to watch the old movies first then I think, but probably not the 3rd.

Erebus
July 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
Saw this last week and really liked it. Effects are great, story is good, if not far-fetched (but aren't they all? It's comic book stuff after all, and I loved it!) A good fun movie with a little bit of heart and soul as well.

Kevin Spacey is great as Lex.

Rating: 4.5 choctops out of 5

Possible Spoiler:

My most favourite scene (there were many by the way): The bullet shot at Superman's eye. brilliantly done IMO!

Rob B
July 3rd, 2006, 07:56 PM
I saw it last Thursday and liked it a lot. I heard some mixed things about it and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. My quibbles with the overall film are only minor. I know I'm going to sound like a DC comics fanboy geek, but the "S" shield is just too small.

Agree Neil, the eye-shot was awesome.

Superman I & II do form the 'backstory' to this film, though not an explicit sequel.

Spacey was great as Lex.

Evil Agent
July 4th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Wow. Superman Returns was just terrible. I'm really disappointed, because I should have just trusted my gut instinct. When I first heard about the new movie I thought it would be bad. When I saw the first trailer, I thought it looked bad. But then I started getting my hopes up, when I watched some of the old films on TV, and when I read all the good reviews.

Well, the reviews were wrong (except Ebert, who gave it a thumbs down). It was so long, slow, and boring. Almost no action. Nothing I hadn't seen before. It felt like a bad re-hash of the old Superman films, with nothing new. And I agree: Lois Lane was a terrible casting mistake. She turned Lois Lane into the most annoying, unlikeable female character ever! And there were too many Jesus analogies (a la Matrix 3).

I no longer have any faith in Bryan Singer. I think the first two X-Men films were alright, but full of way too much slow cheesy stuff. And this is even worse in Superman. It felt like 90% of the movie was just Lois and Superman gazing/talking to each other. Sure, it had a couple cool moments. Maybe I'm being a little hard on it. But really I left the theatre feeling very disappointed (and I'm a hard guy to disappoint!) I guess I'm just not a big Superman fan.

(PS I should add: Kevin Spacey was good Lex. His girlfriend was good too. And the bullet/eye shot was the coolest moment. But those are the only things I liked).

Evil Agent
July 4th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I just found a negative review that sums up my feelings exactly.

He echoes my sentiments on Bryan Singer. The director has good intentions, to place character development over effects and action, but lacks the skill. Also, as his movies get longer, they seem to get worse. X-Men: 90 minutes, X-2: 120 minutes, Superman: 155 minutes.

This reviewer even makes the same joke that I made to my friend, after the film, about Lois being an unfit mother, putting her son in even more danger than Britney Spears does. :D

http://www.efilmcritic.com/review.php?movie=14733&reviewer=198

Bond
July 5th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I thought Superman Returns was a good solid movie. Watchable and enjoyable. It lacked that special something, however, that would make it stand out.

Singer gives the story a more sober treatment than in previous Superman movies or in comparison with the Spider-Man movies but not quite as serious as Batman Begins or The Hulk.

The story seems to contain a more everyday human drama feel to it than earlier Superman movies but that also has the effect of not giving the characters as much room to come off as larger than life. Routh and Bosworth are probably okay but when compared to Reeve and Kidder there is a noticeable lack of something. No character no chemistry no idiosyncrasy. No fun. One of the things I enjoyed most about the first two Superman movies was the interaction between Clark Kent and Lois Lane. Clark sweet and bumbling and Lois plucky and pushy but with a care for her comrades. With that background from previous movies I would have preferred it if Lois in this movie had treated Clark's arrival with a bit more peevishness or in your face disappointment instead of treating him with the mild robotic politeness you'd give a stranger. From the lack of reaction it became clear this was a very different Lois Lane and Clark Kent from the earlier movies. Both characters were played rather blandly and it was a shame. For me the entire Lois Lane and Clark Kent relationship is very important, as important as the Superman Lois Lane relationship. Because there seemed to be a lack of one, the idea that perhaps Lois really was in love only with Superman the image and not the complete person that is both Clark Kent and Superman is left hanging there and that isn't satisfying.

To be a bit more fair to Routh, Christopher Reeve being cast as Superman/Clark Kent is probably one of the greatest casting calls in cinema. I do not think I could imagine a better image of Superman than Reeve if I tried. So in my view Routh never had a chance competing against Reeve in that regard.

mrwizard
July 5th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I saw it last Thursday and liked it a lot. I heard some mixed things about it and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. My quibbles with the overall film are only minor. I know I'm going to sound like a DC comics fanboy geek, but the "S" shield is just too small.

Agree Neil, the eye-shot was awesome.

Superman I & II do form the 'backstory' to this film, though not an explicit sequel.

Spacey was great as Lex.

I really need to go back and view Superman 2 again. Its probably been over 15 years and I don't remember anything from it.

Spacey was fantastic as Lex and Posey played off him very well.

I think the part that got me most excited was just seeing teh old Superman credits at the beginning. The crowd I saw it went cheered for all the names as they came across. It was a llot of fun.