PDA

View Full Version : hi, evil main character

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Elidhu
July 11th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Hi, i'm new but ive read the site intro and i think i know how it works. Kay, so i had an idea that the main character is evil but doesn't know it until the end. I think the easiest way to do this is that he has a second personality that rises when he is asleep/ preocupied but this other self is immortal and can only therefore be killed when he is in innocent form. His life is plagued by evil (his other personality, i.e his familly members die etc) and misery and he is sent on a great quest by the prophecy of the stars to kill the greatest evil. His friends and remaining familly turn on him and chase him away as a jinx. I'd like it to be set in medieval times or perhaps a simmiliar parrallel world. Apart from him killing himself near the end (and not coming back) i haven't got any other idea's, especially about the villain's evil plan. so what happens now???:confused:
p.s
i like the name Kar...

HellCold
August 6th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Hi, i'm new but ive read the site intro and i think i know how it works. Kay, so i had an idea that the main character is evil but doesn't know it until the end. I think the easiest way to do this is that he has a second personality that rises when he is asleep/ preocupied but this other self is immortal and can only therefore be killed when he is in innocent form. His life is plagued by evil (his other personality, i.e his familly members die etc) and misery and he is sent on a great quest by the prophecy of the stars to kill the greatest evil. His friends and remaining familly turn on him and chase him away as a jinx. I'd like it to be set in medieval times or perhaps a simmiliar parrallel world. Apart from him killing himself near the end (and not coming back) i haven't got any other idea's, especially about the villain's evil plan. so what happens now???:confused:
p.s
i like the name Kar...
Well, maybe if you add some more details I can be of help, but it really is a tough one...

Gkarlives
August 7th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Before you embark, try reading the Elric Saga by Moorcoock and Through a Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick. I beleive several of the ellements you describe are therein. You can get some ideas and look at ways to tweak your story so as to be a little different from these.

Gkar

Yobmod
August 8th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Scanner Darkly would be a thing to read if your character is ever going to become paranoid about his evil twin. Also the psycho split personally reminded me of Fight Club.

As for getting him on his quest, which sounds a bit vague, how about some local witch type telling him he's cursed, and the only one who can help is conveniently on the other side of the continent (reminiscent of Wizard of Oz?). But then you have to decide if the split personality thing is real schizophrenia, or something magically induced.

Overall it seems like you want to write an epic fantasy with a twist - the easiest way is to paraphrase the plots of a handful of other books, and use the twist to defend against criticisms. It works for enough bestsellers... :D

Blacknarcissa
November 7th, 2006, 12:40 PM
1. Elidhu - I Love the book 'The Gift'
2. Yobmod - Your avatar - I like that anime umm Princess Monenoke ..?

Anyways, i really like the idea of that Elidhu, i was thinking about that myself, i haven't read a book from a bad persons point of veiw!

Wouldn't it be great if there was a book about the 'baddy'?
ahh.. but i guess it wouldn't go down to well with us fantasy lovers ..

..whatever. ;)

p.s; I like the spelling of 'Kar' the k and unusual letters makes it kl ;) thats why i liked the baddy in the gift (Sharma) BUTbtutbuttbut - The car in Kar makes it annoying. :( uhh my minds blank.

Konrad
November 8th, 2006, 05:13 AM
What about writing about the hero and his other personality so that the reader doesn't know that they are the same. Maybe that you write it in the spooky kind of way ( "the dark shadow moved towards the man lying on the rocks below. His fingers twitching in the prospect to kill...").
And then the good hero wakes up (" when he entered the room he heard the conversations about a terrible murder..."):eek:

Blacknarcissa
November 8th, 2006, 01:46 PM
LMAO! Yes!

He could like find out he is the baddy at the end. :p

That'd be great..
ahh but i mean you couldn't write a whole book about a random person hearing about a crazy person killing people.. or could you!?

Lol you the good side could be in a propechy saying that he'll defeat this baddy and then he finds out its him..

HAH but that'd make the whole book pointless? and ah.. even if you did pull it off you'd have to make it believable and er.. not too obvious?

Konrad
November 10th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Maybe you could write as I said but do it so little and so far apart that the reader doesn't suspect anything. And the evil part of him maybe has some kind of magical talent. Shapeshifter? If you do it right then it could be great. But if you do it extremly bad... then it would be funny.:D

Blacknarcissa
November 22nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Lol yes, maybe aside from this project you should make a rediculous fantasy book! cliched and silly! I've never ever read a non-serious fantasy book! Yes..

Yes...
Excellent
MWHAHA

All this talk reminds me of the tauros in one of Tamora pierces books, who likes to rape women and the character Daine saw one in a pool and instead of running for her life she threw pebbles at his head. hmm..

Desperate? ;)