PDA

View Full Version : ENTERPRISE Crew

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

John Thiel
July 13th, 2006, 09:40 AM
People ask, "Seen any good films lately?" Yeah, the film over Geordi's eyes when he loses his glasses, and the film over Data's eyes when he gets a close personal inspection. Picard has a pretty strange crew, really, when you include Worf and the fact that one of the people in the control room is a boy. Not that they're not good--they can even come out of a time loop or an alternate reality with less trouble than it would take most people, but it seems like they would suffer in a military inspection, of the type that exists nowadays, anyway. But, long live the series! I'm not complaining, I kind of enjoy what the crew is like, but I just thought a comment on how unusual it all seems might be not out of order.

ArthurFrayn
July 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Not to be contrary, as I enjoyed the show a great deal, but the crew corresponds to archtypes or cliches even, well established in the SF genre:
the man beast-Worf
the genius whiz kid-wesley
the telepath-troi
the robot/android -data
someone with a mechanical part -jordy
I can name any number of characters from written fiction, other TV shows, and film that have characters which in some fashion correspond to these.

The way in which they mixed things up a little bit is:
Having an older captain
having the A-male action hero as second in command
having a women as the chief doctor

Actually, it might be interesting to have others here list other things that share these genre archetypical characters, if they like. :D

I'll start with the manbeast:
Chewbacca the Wookie from Star Wars
Speaker to Animals the Kzin from Ringworld.

John Thiel
July 17th, 2006, 08:29 AM
It seems like a good sf crew has to be farfetched. Rommy the AI and Tyr the warrior, several women in the control room, Trance with her purple complexion and tail (both of which I'm glad she's lost), and over at SG-1, Teal'c seems like a mighty unusual man for the command headquarters.

The shows seem to be developing an archetype intentionally---the Shouting Man on the Intercommunications screen, saying from far away in space how bad a disaster has been.