View Full Version : Manga and Comics

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Naru-Rin
July 16th, 2006, 03:09 PM
What is the difference? I've always felt that manga was not your ordinary comic, but I just don't know why. Then again, I don't normally read Superman, or X-Men, but still, I've always been more compelled to read manga. Is it because I grew up watching Guyver and Ranma 1/2 on videos sent by my uncle? (I was pretty young when I finished watching Guyver..I still remember how he died..) Currently, I'm into Shonen (boys') manga, like Bleach, Naruto and more complex ones like Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note.(Can't WAIT for the movie to come out on DVD!) I found out one thing: After a while, I started to act a bit like my favourite characters in these series. I've become more daring like Naruto, a bit like a punk from reading Bleach and it's like I have two separat faces: One when I'm insanely happy and one where I'm morbidly depressed and philosophical. Does this happen to any normal-comic readers? I wouldn't know. I'm not normal.
---
Naru-Rin

Plop Fuzzle
December 7th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I don't know about the second half of your thread but I'd like to give a try at answering the first part. The trouble with doing these type of comparisons is I will have to make generalizations. There will be a lot of manga and comics that break the narrow confines of the genres.

The first difference is the length of the story. All mangas have a set amount of issues. You know a manga will end. A comic book can last forever such as spiderman, batman, superman, etc... Comic book heros never age nor change too much. Comic book fans get attached to their heros and they don't want them to change nor grow up (physically and emotionally). Perhaps it is to hard to develop new characters. In this way comic books often stagnate. In this way comic books are incredibly limited. I often consider giving up comic books for this reason. Manga on the other hand has a beginning, middle, and end. In mangas you will see characters get mature and change. Often a character in the beginning will be significantly different at the end.

Another difference is the target audience. Mangas are generally made for a younger audience so the stories have a more good vs. evil feel and stories are often about children growing up and achieving there potential. Comics used to be made for kids but the comic book reader has continued to read as they grew older. So you will see more sex and violence in comics. Characters will be darker and more human. Characters will be both good and bad.

Manga and comics differ because they come from different countries. There are going to be cultural differences. Japan puts more emphasis on achieving greatness or being the best at something. Comics are more about characters displaying their individuality.

That it for right now to tired to add more.

Ivyn
December 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Manga is just the term for Japanese comics...

cheese
December 8th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I haven't been on Sffworld for a long time...

Plop Fuzzle, I disagree with you on one major point. The majority of manga in Japan is not aimed at a younger audience. It would be more fitting to say that anime is aimed at kids and teenagers in Japan whereas manga is almost a transition for older fans. Most of the manga on the market in Japan is aimed at adults. Apparently, according to a Japanese exchange student at my school, her parents read manga and it isn't to uncommon for adults to read manga on the train to work. The difference is that most of the manga that gets licensed for North America is for teenagers. Eventually more manga will be licensed outside of that common age range that it will probably be a slow process.

You said that a lot of comics have more sex or violence. This is another statement I disagree with. A lot of the mainstream manga in North America at least contains large amounts of violence, sex, and fanservice. For example: Berserk, Hellsing, Basilisk, Battle Royal, Gantz, Negima!, and Love Hina. and so on. A ton of manga also has sex as Japan is more open about sex then a lot of other countries. I find that comics have a narrower range of plots. It seems they tend to focus on people with super powers or abilities where manga can pretty much be about anything. The art style between comics and manga is really different too. Anyways, as you guys can probably tell I prefer Japanese comics over American comics.

Naru-Rin
December 10th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I guess I forgot to mention just how many different kinds of manga there are..

1. Shoujo - Example: Chobits, Ororon, XXXHolic
Young-teenage girl's manga..Or at least, that's who it's aimed for. (My brother loves shoujo) These tend to be romance, drama, and sometimes there's some action in there, too.

2. Shounen - Example: Naruto, Bleach, One Peice, Shaman King
Young - teenage boys. Although Death Note is a shounen manga, it's still aimed more at adults. The main thing in these are action, with a hint of romance and drama. I think that being a shounen manga, it might limit to what the author can do with the story, so that might explain why Naruto totally sucks right now.

3. The adult-oriented manga
These can be about anything from a salaryman to a girl with x-ray vision that's a really good doctor.

Thanks for replying to my thread! I probably prefer manga to anything else, but that's just me. I wanted to see other people's opinions on this, and that's really it. (That doesn't mean I want people to stop posting here, though..)

Konrad
December 10th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Elfquest. Someone know about that one. I think it is as good as the best manga from Asia.

redhead
December 10th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Japanese manga is a lot of fun.

i don't have the background or the vocabulary to get into why and how it's so different from american comicbooks and graphic novels.

I can really get into a lot of manga, but it's hard for me to get into a lot of the story lines of american superhero comic books. maybe that's what it is for me?

a plotline i often run into in manga is that of the student/young adult who finds out they have magical powers of some kind. they weren't born a superhero, but something happens, and poof, they've got to learn how to use these new magical powers. but our main character is also a normal teenager, which means nosy siblings, homework, part time jobs, and dates. there's often a lot of humor thrown in with the over dramatic save-the-world plot line.

i may run into that plotline a lot, perhaps because i specifically look for it. i enjoy it.

manga genres are just as varied as american scifi/fantasy.

dits
December 13th, 2006, 09:59 AM
I'm a big fan of manga and I've found something to like in its various subgenres.

I'm a particularly big fan of sports manga like Slam Dunk, Hajime no Ippo and my own personal fave Hikaru no Go. Thrillers like Death Note and Monster kept me on the edge of my seat. I've indulged in the fanservice of such noteable harem manga like Love Hina as well as enjoyed the "normalcy" of such slice of life mangas like Kare Kano.

I also enjoy American comics particularly Gaiman's Sandman and the comic strip Calvin & Hobbes.

Though generally, I have to say that I prefer manga storylines. Maybe manga has the edge in execution to most comics coz they are written by one man throughout its length.

Plop Fuzzle
December 13th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I also think Hikaru No Go is really good. I also read Naruto, Bleach, Air Gear, Prince of Tennis, xxxholics, etc... You know I'm still trying to put my finger on why Manga seems to be geared towards a younger audience. I may be just responding to the age of the protagonist. They're usually college, high school age, or younger. Pretty much for every one manga with adults I can easily list 15 books about young adults and younger. Comic books the protagonist are generally adults.

dits
December 13th, 2006, 07:19 PM
That's coz all the manga you mentioned are shonen. They are supposed to target a younger audience. As far as I know, there aren't many translated seinen series in the west. Miura's Berserk is seinen.

A very good example of seinen manga are the works of Naoki Urasawa like Monster (which is Silence of the Lambs creepy) and 20th Century Boys (about a group of friends who try to stop the rise of a cult that was spawned from their make-believe childhood games).