PDA

View Full Version : Fall Of The Sunday Comics

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Dwemer
July 20th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Does anyone here find the Sunday comic strips insipid and lame compared to what they used to be? It seems to be now all "awwwws" and sentimentality based on families or cute animals.

I long for the days of Calvin And Hobbes and the Far Side where you'd get a great comic strip.... art + biting edge humor.

I think today's comic strip artists have lost it.

ArthurFrayn
July 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
The Far Side/Calvin and Hobbes period of funnies is over. Those strips that do this kind of humor now suck, and are sh*ttily drawn.

The best strips in the current funnies are not of a biting humor vein. They are family/community humor in the tradition of Gasoline Alley. There is a long honored tradition of sentimental family strips in the funnies. If you can stand just a little
"awww" sentiment,I highly recommend For Better or Worse and, Jump Start. They both have moments that are intelligent, thoughtful and even moving.
If you follow them on any regular basis, they might surprise you. I've seen a few things that caught me completely off guard. In a good way. I think Jump Start is particularly good. :)