PDA

View Full Version : What Am I?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

C.bronco
July 24th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I'm in the query process and don't really know what genre I fit into. Right now I'm billing it as an Orwellian fantasy, but some characters have paranormal abilities (E.S.P., ability to astral project etc). Also, most of the book takes place in a subterranean high tech secret society and and some takes place on the astral plane. Sounds weird, but it's not that weird in the book itself.
Anyhow, what genre am I? I want to sell this baby, and I don't think I'm approaching the right bunch of agents. (Or I am and they just don't want me!)
Oh yeah, it's also Young Adult.

Ward
July 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM
My instincts would be to call that science fiction, mostly because of the setting, which seems to be one of the big deciding factors in hanging a genre name on something. Sounds too like you are concerned with socialogical themes, another scifi halmark. Also, the paranormal stuff doesn't sound like pure magic, which helps edge it over further.

Ropie
July 24th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Oh yeah, it's also Young Adult.

As has been pointed out in the 'Sci-fi vs Fantasy' thread recently, there is not much of a market for young adult science fiction. It may well be better served by the fantasy market aimed at this age, which seems to do very well.

KatG
July 24th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Hey bronco, you're a children's author is what you are. If you are writing Young Adult, you are writing for the children's market and probably need to be approaching agents who handle children's and YA material, not adult sff (or agents who handle both adult and children's sff.)

On whether you are sf or fantasy, that depends on the explanation for the characters' mental powers. If the ESP and astral projection are the result of genetics, scientific tinkering or quantum physics, then it's sf. If the mental powers are magical or spiritual/paranormal in nature, it's fantasy. If it's astral projection (which in lore involves the soul,) and you don't have at least a cursory science-based explanation for that ability, basically it's fantasy.

Either way, you should be fine. Fantasy is the number one sub-category of children's and YA fiction. Science fiction has a smaller piece of the pie in children's, but two of the three current YA bestsellers right now are sf, not fantasy. However, the "Orwellian" tag might be something that you want to drop, as it's likely to be confusing. If the society in your story is oppressive, calling the book a thriller might make more sense.

I'm going to move your thread over to the Writing Forum, where it is more appropriate, and you might get more useful info.

C.bronco
July 25th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks guys. This cross genre stuff is tough to bill and I'm trying to keep my chin up, which is hard as I'm sure you all know. In one query I billed it as a fantasy action adventure. Many of the genre titles seem to fit in some way.