PDA

View Full Version : How to bring in a mermaid

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

BlueAngel
July 31st, 2006, 11:02 PM
I have a short story floating in mind about a young man who lives in a fishing town with his abusive father and brothers. After a hurricane hits, he walks down to the beach to view the aftermath and to get away from his home life. What he finds is a mermaid...

Now this is the part I'm having issue with, either I want to have her stranded ashore, or do something different. The opposing idea was one I got from a pic of a sculpture I saw online, one of a mermaid egg. I'm thinking maybe a large gelatinous egg would've washed too far inshore to allow the maiden's survival, thus facilitating the introduction of two characters by the boy saving her.

I don't know which to go with, help?~Angela

Rocket Sheep
August 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM
Egg, egg, egg. Do the thing no one else has done. Do something a bit insidious and creepy. Do the different thing every time. The mermaid washed ashore's been done.

Miriamele
August 1st, 2006, 08:55 AM
I agree with Sheepy! Definitely the egg. That story angle carries with it so many more possibilities. The boy could hide the egg, care for it, and if the egg didn't hatch until the end of the story so much the better, because the main character (and hopefully your readers) would be filled with suspense over just what was in that egg anyway.

The hope of what lies in the egg could give him a release from the troubles of his daily existence.

Of course there are other paths the story could take if he finds the mermaid herself stranded onshore, but I do think that an egg would be more unusual and interesting. :)

Dawnstorm
August 1st, 2006, 09:05 AM
Egg, egg, egg.

Egg!

(This means I agree; and I only type this as I'm informed by the board software that my message is too short. A writing board software that encourages verbosity. Hmm...)

Dazzlinkat
August 1st, 2006, 12:52 PM
Definately the egg !

A more verbose Dawnstorm ?!?! :p

Dawnstorm
August 1st, 2006, 02:26 PM
A more verbose Dawnstorm ?!?! :p

AND you've used an adjective. Oh, the horror! ;)

[Edit: Adverb, not adjective. Oh, the shame!]

By the way, why not use both?

He finds the egg, and somewhere else someone else finds the mermaid who goes looking for her egg (How many eggs do mermaids lay? How is breeding organised? Who would come looking? The Mother? The Father? Older Siblings? An employee of the egg-retrieval company? An official from the land-relations council?)

Dazzlinkat
August 1st, 2006, 06:10 PM
Lots of ways to work with that egg, blue. Can't wait to see what you do with it :D

Oh my gosh! I horrified Dawnstorm so bad he's falling all over his grammaticals!

World Builder
August 2nd, 2006, 12:56 AM
I agree with Dawnstorm. Egg plus a unique peak into mer-person social life. Would be really interesting to tackle a mer-person society based on the actual needs of the being that sort of creature. If its something beyond the typical Little Mermaid kingdom. Something more alien.

Perhaps, like some fish, the mermaids are mostly female, living in schools with a single male. When the male dies, one of the females becomes the male of the group. Would explain why we think of them as mermaids.

BlueAngel
August 3rd, 2006, 11:22 PM
I'm actually thinking of making them asexual, being able to reproduce clones of themselves, but clones with some degree of their own individuality. Even with that trait, I want the maiden he finds to be able to still have intercourse, as most mermaids are depicted without such ability and yet objects of sexual desire. And since both of them are different species(especially with her being more fish), it would be impossible for her to become pregnant.

If I'm getting a little weird here, I apoligize, but I want to see where I can take this.

She would be bit animal like in behavior, and still remain a creature of mystique because you'd never truly know just how much she understands or knows.
Let me know how that idea sounds.~Angela

Ozzie U Nolem
August 4th, 2006, 02:13 AM
I'm actually thinking of making them asexual... without such ability and yet objects of sexual desire.~Angela

First, you just can go taking away the feminie sexuality of a mermaid, Ariel is every man's favorite Disney character, next to Jasmine from Aladdin. Then Pocahontas. Then Cinderella. and the-- Oh, sorry

Egg sounds good. If I were writing it, it would edge more towards a horror end of the spectrum. He'd find her in some grotesque cacoon that has broken open. And she is not fully transformed from her previous alien form.
Who knows, maybe she goes mental and tries to eat his cat or dog or him.

That would be heading more towards the local low budget horror films, if they deserve to be called film...:D