PDA

View Full Version : Plots and Stories

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Tari
August 1st, 2006, 03:26 AM
I'm sure this argument has been bought up many times in here but I recently found an intersting article regarding plot lines in literature.

Most people have heard of the "seven story" theory. Shakespeare was the first to write the only seven basic plots in the world. . .personally I don;t believe it. Take a look at Eastern literature compared to Western literature and it'll throw the belief out the window - did for me. .lol.

Anywayz here (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/06/1031115933686.html) is the article Check it out. Would like to hear what people think :)

~ Tari

JBI
August 1st, 2006, 04:34 AM
Depends how simplistic you want to be. If you look at all plots you can relate them to one thing. Man (or woman) has a problem. chaos has begun, and the hero works to rebuild it. Hero either succeeds or fails. The end. You see this in romance as well, where we see the guy fall for the girl, and all he can think about is the girl, hence order is broken and chaos begins. Then he either gets the girl or doesn't, order is restored or is never restored. The end. That plot line can work with every story pretty much, including shakespear (his are even more simplistic, if it is a tradgedy you know the ending will be death, if it is a comedy, you know the ending will be marraige.)

Ps, Is your name from the amber books (Tari being the primary language of one side of the world (The coarts of chaos)).

Tari
August 1st, 2006, 04:50 AM
Ps, Is your name from the amber books (Tari being the primary language of one side of the world (The coarts of chaos)).

I agree it does depend on how simply you want to look at the situation.

What i found most interesting was that people claim there is so many plot lines. . .i think one philospher said 39? 66?. . . but no one is yet to list them out plainly?? . . . .not that i'm aware of anyway.

Oh and my name is not from The Amber Books. . .never read them. . . Have heard about them though. No my name is simply my name in Elvish. and "Xalyr" which is the surname to it. Together they are my name in Elvish but they also mean "Queen of the Forest"

~ Tari

P.S. sorry for the short reply i'm working on something else atm.

PlanetRetcon
August 1st, 2006, 05:08 AM
I agree it does depend on how simply you want to look at the situation.

What i found most interesting was that people claim there is so many plot lines. . .i think one philospher said 39? 66?. . . but no one is yet to list them out plainly?? . . . .not that i'm aware of anyway.

The most common number is 36. And they are listed, I found one at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirty-Six_Dramatic_Situations).

I use it all the time. A nice way to infuse a bit of plot in your book is "roll a 36 sided die" in Excel or your favorite random number generator, and force yourself to integrate whatever comes up into your story. Great writer's block killer.