PDA

View Full Version : What is Science Fiction?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ozzie U Nolem
August 4th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I was wondering, to all the science fiction writers, what do you feel the essence of science fiction is in your writing?

For me, sf is first about adventure. Blended majestically with explicit personal ideaologies and beliefs of the workings of magic and reality.

And to all our fantasy writers, same question.

JBI
August 4th, 2006, 02:23 AM
What can happen if. That is sci fi. Though, sci fi has to be possible whereas there are no restrictions in fantasy.

Expendable
August 4th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Science fiction is stories that depend on some fact of science or technology that the story would fall apart without it.

Ozzie U Nolem
August 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM
It seems horror isn't so popular. Has anyone seen Event Horizon. Awesome movie.

Feel free to list any catagories that I may have missed...

Hereford Eye
August 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Any story in any genre must have elements of suspense and drama or why should the reader invest any time?
After that, for me, science fiction deals with a fictional future, either today and tomorrow and or far off down the road or a place where we can travel backwards in time or a time that never was but obeys the laws of physics. Take today or yesterday and twist it a bit and you now have a fictional future. Take tomorrow or six centuries from now, you have a fictional future. The distinguishing mark is that you twist reality just a bit or maybe lots of bits. Sometimes the twist is exciting, sometimes horrifying, sometimes amusing, always interesting.
Fantasy then becomes for me magical. Fantasy doesn't twist reality; it simply adds magic to the mix.

PlanetRetcon
August 5th, 2006, 01:36 PM
You all pretty much nailed it, but to throw my definition in, Science Fiction is Fiction (See any definition you want) where the real world (Or a reasonable, realistic facimile) has one or more changes in technology or discoveries that is itself reasonable to assume we will make. These words like "Reasonable" can be stretched to any limit you can get away with.

So, if your heroes invent a time machine, then it's science fiction. If they pull a dragon out of a purple felt top hat with stars sewn onto its sides, it's fantasy.

Nothing wrong with fantasy, of course, that's just the difference.

Goony
August 5th, 2006, 01:57 PM
In addition to all above insightful remarks, you may also refer to the following thread:

www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13891

Goony
August 5th, 2006, 02:02 PM
repeated post was removed!

biggiraffe
August 9th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Depending on how you feel; SF is an escape from reality, or an escape to reality.

Rocket Sheep
August 11th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I find the poll difficult and I think it's because the sub-genres are wrong to me. I want to click the "other" button.

Most science fiction contains elements of science, adventure, horror and suspense... therefore we like all these things because we like science fiction.

When the story hangs completely on the science and it is explained well, it becomes hard science fiction and sometimes that is also humanistic and appeals to a wide variety of people but sometimes it only appeals to science enthusiasts.

More definable sub-genres might be:

Hard science (incl. biological science)

Space opera

Steam punk/New Weird/gonzo (sub-sub-genres?)

Cyberpunk

Futuristic

Alien

Time travel

Alt history is the subject of debate because even tho it is a speculative genre it isn't always a science fiction genre.

I think the best sf is about who humans are in the future.