View Full Version : Cant start

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Sidmyster
August 7th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I have been interested in writing a story of some kind for a while, whether it be a novel or just a short story.

I can come up with good ideas in my head and even get a basic plot and some of the characters figured out, but whenever i sit down and try to type/ write the story i just cant get started.

does anyoone have any advice on how i can get a story started.... dont have problems creating the ideas, just starting the writing as its something ive never really tried before so i dont know hoe to set about it.

Thanks in advance to any advice :)

Dazzlinkat
August 7th, 2006, 08:38 PM
What part of the idea is on your mind the most? Jot it down. Now you can work forward or backward. Since you are just now carving out the story, its not going to be in a perfect ready for print form so no sweat. NO ONE EVER WRITES A PERFECT FIRST DRAFT, NOT EVEN THE PROS. So it doesn't matter how rough it is. Just write it. You will be going back to edit and rewrite parts. If you still can't get it started, do what I do:

"Once upon a time ..." or "In a galaxy far, far away ... " This part will never be part of your story but it helps to kick-start your brain.

Ozzie U Nolem
August 7th, 2006, 11:22 PM
This is the spot to get started...

What've you got for us?
We can lead you step by step... and then you can pickup some habits and learn the process so that you will be able to do it on your own.

MrBF1V3
August 8th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Start by putting to paper what you have, if it's a scene from the middle, or even the end, write it down.

Back in the middle ages when I used paper, I would write one scene per page, then put them together in order and write a first draft from that. Don't try to perfect the first draft, that is the course of madness. Just get the story down in some kind of form, if what you write contradicts something earlier, or later, make a note of it-I put mine right on the page-you'll be able to fix it in a later draft.

You'll need this later: Make a hard copy of the first draft and set it aside for a while. At least a week, a month is better. Then, when you have a good block of time, take out your copy, get something to drink (don't try to eat) and read with a pencil in your hand. Make notes on every improvement you want to make. Rewrite according to your notes. Make another hard copy, set it aside ...

When you can read your story without cringing or wearing out the pencil, you're getting close.

Hope that helps,

B5

KatG
August 8th, 2006, 04:02 PM
You might want to check out the No Confidence at All thread for possible ideas on this related topic as well.

Sidmyster
August 8th, 2006, 07:10 PM
yeah cheers for the good advice guys.

i think i might try to write a certain scenes or ideas that i have in my head that i know i would like to be in my story.

and i also like the start wars start idea....i can actually see that working for me, then making a proper opening later on.

:)

this is the very bare basics of my planned idea (my ideas might be typed jumbled up as it of the top of my head)

I want to start the story with a nice happy setting where everything is happy and the main character(s) in the story who (at the start) will be quite young 14-16 ( havent decided) anyway i will have them being merry and enjoying themselves

i then want to include some kind of battle wich will be from the young kids point of view and will be quite vivid.....but it will turn out to be the childrens imigination and they were just playing with eachother.

anyway at the town/ city they have a yearly ritual where they send five boys away to the capital city (across the sea) where they will learn sword play etc (basically to be a warrior) the reasons are because although there has been peace for many years in this particular place the land across the sea is often at war and the city may have to send aid and the people who are chosen each year would be the genereals etc and will also gaurd the city from the odd hoblin/bandints/orcs ( havent decided) who sometimes pillage.

so- they go away.....meet a man on the boat cool type (thinking like the meeting of strider in TLOTR, that sort of meeting...anyway he later saves the boys)

nothing much after that accept when they go home things are a lot different and im planning on making the 5 boys suffer in different ways......but this is totally unplanned at the moment.

choppy
August 8th, 2006, 07:29 PM
The process that you follow to go from idea to story will take some fleshing out and experimentation. Some people are planners - they vividly conceptualize every scene in the story before even putting pen to paper. Others put the pen on the paper and start writing, making stuff up as they go. By trial and error, you'll find what works for you.

Some authors like to start with a character interview. I do this on occasion, often when I'm trying to figure things out. Imagine that you're sitting down with one of these youths and just start asking questions. Don't be afraid of the juicy questions either. Often, the characters will start telling the story themselves. All you have to do is listen and type!

Sidmyster
August 8th, 2006, 08:37 PM

ive just written a plan for a chapter or two of story but i might try your idea soon as i dont want to get to deep without having characters to work with, at the moment im just saying "right i want this to happen to such and such character" but i dont know who my character are.....i might try writing some character profiles aswell :P

Ozzie U Nolem
August 9th, 2006, 12:38 AM
That is an awesome idea. Just be careful that it isn't misleading. throw in hints that it is just the imagination.

I take it that it will open with the kids pretending that they are in a battle as grown ups. This is a really good opportunity to create a foreshadow or parallel for the next chapter or further, perhaps even the end. it depends on how you want to work the story line.

First and for most, i would definitely take Choppy's interview advice. Interview not only fictional characters, but every one in the forum as well. You may what to begin by brainstorming an entire pages of questions regarding childhood imagination. maybe even search for psychologial references to study.

The point of brainstorming is to produce Quantity not quality...

Like I said, the initial idea is great, but it seems as though this story could go all over the place. you mentioned the political conditions. i think that is were you need to start building chapter two from. Chapter one can even be a prologue. It is a good bait and hook, but it still must have it's place in the story otherwise there is no use in writing it. At best it can be a solid introduction of either characters or political environment, etc.

Let me know how this helps and if you have any questions.

Sidmyster
August 10th, 2006, 07:52 PM
thats some good adivece thanks you :)

and i think im going to do a prologue, the thought didnt even cross my mind, but now you mentioned it, it seems like a good idea and its given me an idea from where to start, thanks :D