View Full Version : Flashbacks

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

biggiraffe
August 11th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Hi

I have a question about flashbacks. Does it matter how many flashbacks a story has, so long as each one is relevant to plot/story?

Thanks

P

choppy
August 11th, 2006, 01:32 PM
No.

The important thing with flashbacks is to make sure that the reader can follow without too much disorientation. If the timeline is too jumpy, it creates an obstacle.

Dazzlinkat
August 11th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I agree with choppy. You can have as many flashbacks as you want/need to move your story forward. Have you seen the movie Hoodwinked? It uses flashbacks (presented as interviews) from different characters about the same incident. This is the only example that comes to mind right now.

Jacquin
August 11th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Iain Banks uses them a lot (with and without the "M") and they always work. When they are well written they work, when not, they don't...

JamesL
August 11th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Probably the best most recent use of flashbacks is in The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. All the way through the book he uses flashbacks to an earlier period of the main character's life and it really helps to flesh out both the cast and the world a whole lot more. A great example of how to use flashbacks effectively.

Sidmyster
August 11th, 2006, 06:29 PM
im starting to write a story and in my prologue im having a firt person narrative telling a story. I plan afterwards to go forward in time to after the story but the main character will later meet the story teller where he will be told the story which is told in the prologue

just wandering, would this make sense and would it work.
and any advice ? :P

p.s its the first thing ive ever written so im just experimenting.

onions
August 11th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Don't see why it shouldn't work, Sid.
I'd suggest telling the story differently the second time round, though. Like, in the prologue have it in a very formal storytelling style and the second time in the course of a conversation, colloquial style.
The question is not whether you can, but whether you should, though. Ask yourself for what reason you'd want the same story twice in there, and whether the reason's enough.

Giraffe, I agree with choppy.

Mock
August 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Hoodwinked

HOODWINKED! The most underrated kids' cartoon comedy I've ever seen! I almost threw up laughing when the squirrel and theŚlol never mind. I need to rent it sometime.

Yeah I agree with choppy. I have 2-3 flashbacks in my average novel, maximum. I generally keep 'em short and simple.

Sidmyster
August 12th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Don't see why it shouldn't work, Sid.
I'd suggest telling the story differently the second time round, though. Like, in the prologue have it in a very formal storytelling style and the second time in the course of a conversation, colloquial style.
The question is not whether you can, but whether you should, though. Ask yourself for what reason you'd want the same story twice in there, and whether the reason's enough.

Giraffe, I agree with choppy.

im going to write my prologue twice, once this way and once in the 3rd person then i can see which i prefere/works the best.