View Full Version : Is this original?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Final07
August 12th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I've been thinking a lot about a story and I've come up with an idea. Has anyone ever read anything about a schizophrenic god? When I first thought of it I thought it was brillant, but I want to know what other people think about it.

This particular god is scheming and manipulating everything around him, but only person inside his head knows of it. There are three people in his mind. One is innocent and naive. Another is bloodthirsty and powerful. The last is the one scheming to save the world from those who seek to harm it.

Is this original?

Jacquin
August 12th, 2006, 01:04 PM
A god that is three in one? Hmmm, let me think. ;)

I'm assuming you mean split personality rather that Schizophrenic, in which case, probably not. But if you do it well it will work anyway.

I could easily be wrong though.

J

KatG
August 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM
It may be, but you need to do a little mental illness research. What you're describing is multiple personality disorder, not schizophrenia. Multiple personality disorder occurs when the person splits their personality into multiple personas, usually due to extreme traumas. The self-awareness of this person to the different internal personas varies.

Now, gods often end up, as myths from different cultures combine, with the equivalent of multiple personalities, or incarnations, so in that sense, a god with three faces/personalities is not really unusual. For instance, the ancient Greek goddess Artemis, goddess of maidens and the hunt, was also the goddess Selene, the moon, and the goddess Hectate, of the crossroads and dark magic.

Schizophrenia is a mental disease in which the person is overwhelmed by stimuli, near as they can figure, and can't process it. This results in auditory and visual hallucinations and fantastical delusions. Often, the delusion is that someone or some forces wishes to hurt the person or is forcing the person to hurt others or perform distasteful acts. A schizophrenic person finds it very hard to distinguish reality from his delusions, though drugs and therapies have been developed to help with the symptoms and give some schizophrenics a firmer grip on reality. In extreme cases, a schizophrenic can do violent harm to himself or others. (For a reasonable presentation of schizophrenia, you could see the film "A Beautiful Mind" or perhaps even better, read the original memoir.)

So if you had a god who was schizophrenic, he would essentially be a magical creature having delusions about, well, magic. Which might be rather interesting. Again, there are legends of mad gods, so in terms of straight originality, you may not be straying that far from myth. But, by putting the situation in terms of current psychological medicine, you might create an interesting set-up. Or you needn't bother and can just write about a god who's crazy, however you like.

And that's really what authors do. They find something they feel is interesting and they play with it. Whether other authors have played with it before them isn't really the point.

Holbrook
August 12th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Living next door to the God of Love by Justina Robson, works with a similar idea. (I say similar, because the premise of the book is so off the wall, well done and slightly mind blowing)

But as KatG said take the idea and make your own story. That's what we all do. Take bits of ideas and make a story. It might be the same idea as someone else, but that doesn't mean the story will be anything like.

JamesL
August 12th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Sounds like a promising idea. Only thing I can think of that is at all similar is the late David Gemmell's Dark Moon, in which the swordsman Tarantio has two souls instead of one, and they both constantly battle to govern his actions.

JBI
August 12th, 2006, 04:46 PM
You sure Artemis and Selene are the same goddess? Isn't Selene Heliou's sister, and Artemis Apollo's? Selene Eos and Helios are the whole day process. Eos being the dawn, then Helios rides around the world in his chariot, then Selene rides around in hers. Artemis is an Olympian, I'm pretty sure Selene is a different goddess, especially since the goddess is known for liking men, and sleaping with them on cold winter nights (That's how they explained the shortend days and things like that).

What I think you were trying to say, was that Hecate (or sometimes spelt Hekate) is a combination of the three goddesses Prosephone, Artemis, and Selene. She is however depicted having three heads: a dog, a horse (sometimes a snake), and a lion. Her characteristics involve a combonation of the three goddesses, and added to the link.

Though, I consider this more having three personalities, rather then 3 split personalities.

In terms of this idea, if you are having a split personality god/goddess, make sure it isn't confusing for the reader, and goodluck.

Sidmyster
August 12th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Sounds like a promising idea. Only thing I can think of that is at all similar is the late David Gemmell's Dark Moon, in which the swordsman Tarantio has two souls instead of one, and they both constantly battle to govern his actions.
tarantio and dace, what great characters :P

i think the idea is good, but it would be very hard to write.

Final07
August 12th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I have already considered how hard it will be to write, but for some reason I dont think it'll be that much. The POV of the god isn't aware of illness, which, to me, makes sense. None of the personalities are aware of each other. The only way readers know about the god's illness is through other characters POVs. I've already envisioned certain scenes that hint at the god's illness.

@Jacquin/ The god isn't three in one. It's one god, but seperated into different minds. The power of the god is the same, if the knowledge isn't. The combined knowledge of the minds would certainly make the god far more powerful though.

@KatG/ I meant split personality. Thank you for explaining the difference. I think I might be able to do the other too. This story is full of gods. Another mental god won't be a problem, it'll just make plotting a little harder and a lot more interesting.

Thanks to everyone else for their advice and input.... I think this might work, I'ma have to concentrate a little more on plot before I start writing though.

Ozzie U Nolem
August 13th, 2006, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=Final07]This particular god is scheming and manipulating everything around him, but only person inside his head knows of it. There are three people in his mind. One is innocent and naive. Another is bloodthirsty and powerful. The last is the one scheming to save the world from those who seek to harm it.QUOTE]

It seems to me a simple characterization of human nature. An idea that is the essence of fiction.

I think your key to creating a great story here is in figuring out exactly who god is. Look into how god is represented throughout human history. If you portray god as the typical devine entity that cannot be seen, touched, blah blah whatever, then it may, and probably will be less exiting.

Build your environment and characters. Then ask: who is god to these people?

i wouldn't bother with the psychological research, afterall does human psychology apply to a god?

Sammie
August 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM
i wouldn't bother with the psychological research, afterall does human psychology apply to a god?Not necessarily - but at the same time if you are going to use terminology specific to human psychology I think it's important to have a basic understanding of what that terminology implies.

That's not to say that indepth research is necessary - just knowing the dictionary definitions will proably serve!