PDA

View Full Version : Sandman: Absolute Editions

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Jack
August 28th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Sandman, Vol. 1 (Absolute Edition) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401210821/ref=wl_it_dp/002-0918350-2474444?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2DPCYH9WKJ08B&colid=2XATW4WLXS21R)

So I am not a big comic guy, not because of any aversion to the medium, just because, well, I've never really tried! Sure, when I was 8-12 years old I remember running up to the Tom Thumb to grab an X-Men or a Ghost Rider, but once I discovered the world of fantasy literature in the likes of Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Weis & Hickman, my interest in comics waned, and I thought that was the end of the story.

Now I am a huge Neil Gaiman fan, and as such I know he got his start with the critically acclaimed Sandman series of graphic novels. Whenever I mention Gaiman in the greater public-at-large, 9 times out of 10 the response is not "American Gods!" or "Neverwhere!" It is inevitably "SANDMAN!"

So I'm thinking there is some serious value in Sandman, and I would be cheating myself if I didn't check it out. Lo and behold, along comes the first volume of the Absolute edition, due out Nov. 1. Should I check it out? 60USD really doesn't seem that bad for the first of four massive volumes with custom slip case. I think it would be great reading, as well as a fantastic addition to my library.

How about it sffworlders? Should I give it a go?

kater
August 28th, 2006, 01:52 PM
There's a bit of discussion about the new colouring on the Absolute version, which may or may not make a difference to you, here: http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13434&page=3

I'd advise picking up the first trade - Preludes and Nocturnes, then judge for yourself. It's very well received among comic critics but doesn't always strike the same chord with comic fans and if you haven't read a lot of comics then the visuals maybe other than what you expect. The Absolute edition is pretty good value but I'd play safe and try it out first - even if it's just to pick up a copy wherever your local stockist is and flip through it.

Rob B
August 28th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I've thought about getting these myself. I've got the entire trade paperback run. On one hand, why buy something twice. On the other, I have the Watchmen Absolute edition and I already had that in singles.

I'm a bigger Gaiman fan than Moore fan, so I might add it to my amazon wish list and see what happens.

Banger
August 29th, 2006, 12:29 PM
aww crap... and here I've already plunked down $60 for the first four volumes :p

Jack
August 31st, 2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll go with kater's suggestion and head up to my local b&n, grap a delicious caramel frappacino, and flip through preludes and nocturnes to see how it strikes me. Thanks for the link as well.

Erfael
October 12th, 2006, 05:51 PM
My Absolute Sandman Vol. 1 just arrived in the mail. It's a beautiful, beautiful edition, and the recolorings look great. I can't wait to delve into this one soon.

Soon Lee
October 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I actually started with the second TPB, which begins with the introduction of Dream's sister Death. That is the issue where Gaiman found the voice for the series.

"Preludes & Nocturnes", the first TPB collecting the first 8(?) issues is IMO patchy. Think of it as the first few episodes of what would become a hit TV series - the creators are still coming to grips with what they're doing.

That said, SANDMAN is the work that Gaiman spent years on and contains within it much of what inspires his writing. It is regarded as some of the finest comics in the genre & rightly so.

Should you give it a go?

Absatively!

intensityxx
October 27th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Does anyone know what the publication timeline might be for Vols. 2-4? I've had Preludes and Nocturnes for years, unread, but I really like the new coloring. Problem is, not having read the series yet, I'd have to wait for the subsequent volumes to read the rest of the story.

edit: I came across something saying the 4 issues will appear over a couple of years. Guess I'll buy the trades instead.