View Full Version : Lord of the Rings Limited Edition DVDs

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Miriamele
August 30th, 2006, 11:22 AM
I noticed the banner ad for these DVDs here on sffworld this morning and checked it out. Apparently, Peter Jackson has just released the entire trilogy again, in one boxset, with both theatrical and extended versions, and some pretty awesome documentaries.

Here it is on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.ca/Rings-Trilogy-Theatrical-Extended-Limited/dp/B000GTLR2A/sr=1-4/qid=1156950926/ref=sr_1_4/701-2869451-8226701?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

This seems pretty sneaky to me. On the official LOTR website, Jackson said that they couldn't release just the documentaries on their own "because of agreements with the actors." Hmm, but he couldn't have put them on the original releases? You can watch a clip from the documentaries on the website, they look extremely funny. Apparently Jackson hired one guy to go around catching all the behind-the-scenes shenanigans throughout the filmings. These new fly-on-the-wall style documentaries are the result of that.

One clip, with Gandalf the White wearing a high white wig decorated with tiny pink ribbons, is hilarious. I would like to see these doc's but there is no way I can afford to buy this box set--besides it seems wasteful as I already have all the movies on DVD.

Is anyone planning on buying this?

Hobbit
August 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Hmmm. Jackson has always hoped for a 12 hour full version to my knowledge, so I guess this is one step nearer. Here in the UK Miri, they only seem to be available as separate (admittedly limited edition) sets.

To be honest, as much as I love the films, this is simply a case of selling a product again for all its worth IMO. When they're reduced in the sales, I might think about buying. But otherwise, for me I've got other things to spend my money on. I would rather spend the money on the Star Wars original cuts, for example, which the cynic in me feels is also another way of getting more money, but a little more worthwhile than these.

Hobbit

Evil Agent
August 30th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I'm one of the most hardcore Lord of the Rings fans around, and I would buy most things LOTR.... but I'm not going to buy these. There is a perfect solution here: rent them.

The documentary on these releases is something I've wanted to see for a long time (I always used to read and hear about it, back when the films were first released). Apparently its true, that they couldn't release this because of some sort of contracts or agreements (I believe it was also something to do with New Line). The underlying reason is probably that they were, indeed, hoping to release them later to milk some more money out of the franchise. However, Jackson and the actors already have all the money they're likely to ever earn from this, and buying these DVD's will probably just support the studio execs (something I can live without contributing to).

The documentary does sound very cool though, and so I will definitely be renting these at some point (I hope they are available for rent!). The only reason to buy these, as I see it, is if you don't own the movies yet (and who on this forum doesn't yet own these movies?). They are fairly reasonably priced, and you are getting both versions, so its not a bad deal if you don't already own the trilogy.

My one question is this: will the quality of the movies suffer, by putting both the theatrical and extended releases together? As far as I know each film is only one, or two discs. To fit so much movie in there, they must have had to seriously increase the compression/reduce the quality (or however they do it). One of my favorite things about the extended DVDs is how rich and bright and sharp the colours and images are.

Miriamele
August 30th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I agree EA, that it is a good deal to buy the movies this way if you don't already own the trilogy--but as you said, who doesn't already? I would never spend that much to buy movies I already have.

I too was wondering how they managed to fit the entire extended ROTK on one side of one disk! This boxed set was just released yesterday. I'll check back on Amazon in a couple of weeks to read the reviews, see if anyone complained about the picture quality.

Hobbit, the way things are going maybe Jackson IS going to release a 12-hour version...for the 10th anniversary of FOTR or something. He doesn't seem to be embarassed to do release after release, or give the impression that somebody is milking the LOTR franchise for all it's worth. :rolleyes:

Evil Agent
August 30th, 2006, 02:07 PM
One thing I'll say about these versions: They have beautiful covers. Much better than the original theatrical versions.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000GJ0KNM.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61796256_.jpg
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000GJ0KNW.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61796324_.jpg
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000GJ0KO6.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61796256_.jpg
Obviously the artwork is no random thing. A lot of work probably went into making these look as awesome as possible, so people would buy them. These covers almost make me want them! I love the celtic knotwork around the borders. Still, there's no way these top the packaging of the Extended Editions (the most beautiful DVD packaging I've ever seen).

sic's mom
August 31st, 2006, 05:10 PM
When I first heard they were releasing these versions of the movies I was thinking "Enough already!!!" Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adored the movies and have the three extended versions. Probably watched them one too many times. But this looks like Mr. Jackson is just out to make another dollar off the films. That may not be the case, but a lot of the people I have talked to feel the same way. I think he is a brilliant movie producer and director and would hate to see him lose it. Lets hope this is the last case with these movies or people will start losing what respect they have for him. I hate to say this but I probably would too.

Prunephoenix
August 31st, 2006, 10:21 PM
looks like they have already cuit the price substantially in the US - its only about 60 dollars.

Miriamele
September 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM
I don't suppose anyone has gotten their hands on these DVDs and watched the documentaries? Did you ever end up renting them, EA? I still want to see those documentaries. I admit I've been checking to see if anyone has put them up for download, but not yet.

Evil Agent
September 21st, 2006, 01:26 PM
No, but I plan on looking for them today at the video store. I just read an article about them, and it reminded me how much I want to watch the documentary!

Miriamele
September 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM
Cool, let me know how they are! :)