PDA

View Full Version : The Starchaser?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

nw2162
September 1st, 2006, 03:06 PM
Last night someone was telling me about a book he had read in high school from the school library. The name of the book he said, was The Starchaser/Star Chaser. It is about a young man in space, on a space ship and a scientist builds him a new body (silicone based) on the condition that he has to stay there and work for him. He agrees and learns that the scientist has opened a port to another planet and has traveled there and recently come back. The scientist is murdered by some "mobsters" from this other planet and the man goes through the port to the new planet afterwards. He realizes he has special powers due to his silicone body. The humanoids are telepathic and hear something calling them to a mountain and obey. The young man is able to resist this calling but eventually goes out of curiousity and find a "monster" there that is fed off of the beings energy. This monster recoginzed the taste of the human and said he had "tasted" it before and realized he was an earthling. The monster had been to earth before and thought he had killed everyone on the planet, not realizing how populated it really is. The young man realizes the scientist made his silicone body for him to fight this monster.

Does anyone recognize this book? Maybe it's The Starcatcher/Star Catcher?
He didn't remember the author, but he read it probably 20 to 25 years ago.

I would like to find this book and get it for him, any help or advice on how to find it would be appreciated, he and I both have looked in bookstores and online with no luck.

Thanks in advance... Nic

beenorthern
September 2nd, 2006, 04:12 AM
I am quite certain that this is a book by Gardner Fox. I think it is *Escape Across the Cosmos*, although it might be *The Hunter Out of Time* -- it was one of the very small old paperbacks, very thin and shorter than current pb -- probably an old Ace. I reread the three Fox books I had last year and decided to cull them. It might still be in the discard boxes ... I will have a look this weekend.

nw2162
September 2nd, 2006, 08:51 AM
Thank you very much!!!

beenorthern
September 9th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I've got more undecided boxes than I thought! Found stuff I haven't even read, found books to trade in ... Still more to go through as I have time and energy, so Gardner Fox might surface yet ...

nw2162
September 9th, 2006, 05:46 PM
:cool: I went ahead and ordered Escape Across the Cosmos, I read what there was to read about it on the net and it looks like it could be the book he is looking for. We'll know soon and I'll let you know when we do...

Thanks!!

ArthurFrayn
September 9th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I got both of those books. I'm pumped to read how they compare to his comic stuff!