PDA

View Full Version : How effective is blogging?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

nat_austrl
September 11th, 2006, 04:19 AM
What I mean is, how well does it help to promote yourself as a writer? Would blogging be as helpful to get ur name out there for someone writing poetry as a journalist?

Basiclly the bottom line is, can blogging in general be conciddered as an effective way to self-publish your work? And what are the risks?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm giving a class speach on tips for getting published via the internet. I myself am a student, but I'm giving this presentation to help people, such as myself, get published. In this day and age I feel the internet is becoming an increasingly powerful tool for aspiring writers.

Thanks heaps!:)

Expendable
September 11th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I've always liked that Terry Pratchett posts to alt.pratchett and Spider Robinson to alt.callahans. Makes them sorta reachable.

Blogging helps pull reader interest. Good advertising.

choppy
September 11th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I think blogging can help, depending on what kind of writing you want to do. For journalism, really, it's like having your own column. But I think you have to be careful. What you put in it could either draw in fans or turn people off.

For the most part, as a reader, I'm not interested in an author's thoughts about world events or her relationship with her cat. I very much doubt I would surf around someone's blog and think - hey this it neat, I'm going to go buy something this guy wrote.

They can help for established authors. Once you have a readership, they can check your blog for details about the writing process, teasers, how long until the next book... that kind of thing.

As an amateur the exercise can be helpful. It can get the creative juices flowing.

James Barclay
September 12th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Got two words for you... Scott Lynch.

In novel terms, he was discovered because he posted excerpts on his blog. He's also a bright and witty blogger and that helps.

I'd say yes, definitely blogging helps. Like much on the internet, people have to stumble across you or be recommended to visit you but it can't hurt. It can only raise your profile and you never know who's reading. It's a good way of getting into a regular writing discipline too.

I suppose I'd say, if you have the time, and you have something to say, why wouldn't you blog to self-promote?

NOM

nat_austrl
September 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM
thanks to all for your replies. :D This information will go a long way to helping me, not only with the speach, but also as an aspiring writer myself.

So thanks again!

Rocket Sheep
September 12th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Blogging more than excerpts of work you want to sell is risky because many publishers consider webpublishing using first rights.

Hobbit pointed us to an interesting article in the thread about self-promotion:
Simon Haynes (http://www.spacejock.com.au/MarketingYourBookOnline.html)

Contact Simon if you want to use more than a short quoted excerpt of his article in your speech, won't you. His email is there.

kater
September 12th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Also many consistent and entertaining bloggers have gotten book deals, jason mulgrew (not suitable for kids ;) ) waiterrant and clublife have all secured book deals recently so one perspective may be to show how blogging leads to book deals, in opposition to established authors furthering their work through a blog.