PDA

View Full Version : The future of firefly and serenity....

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Alex
September 13th, 2006, 04:45 AM
As you might know Serenity has won both the Nebula and Hugo award. To give you an inkling of how big these awards are movie-wise, the only movies that have won the Hugo award are: Sleeper, Starwars episode 3 and Lord of the rings (taken from fireflyfans.net), this during a timespan of more than 30 years....

How much of an impact does the Nebula and Hugo award have on movie sales/recognition?

If an author had written a book that won both the nebula and Hugo award (like serenity did) he/she would have her sales boosted significantly and the publishers would fight to include the author in their roster. I guess the movie business is different but this is still some major recognition for Joss.

The reason for me asking is ofcourse that I would very much like to see a continuation of firefly/serenity. Do you guys think that these awards help Joss out in raising funds?

/Alex

Ouroboros
September 13th, 2006, 06:13 AM
I'm glad that 'Serenity' achieved that kind of recognition, but I'm not convinced that it means much outside of a comparatively limited community.

As always, I think the biggest thing the franchise has going for it is continued sales of 'Firefly' and 'Serenity' on DVD, coupled with word-of-mouth and an on-going campaign on the web.

Tarn
September 13th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Great news, but possibly more importantly is that Serenity has been in the top 10 selling DVDs at play.com for yonks.

I get the feeling Joss has moved on now, but you never know...

Brys
September 14th, 2006, 02:48 PM
It's great that Serenity won both of these awards, and it may get a few more SF fans to watch it, but I don't think it'll have a huge effect. But the good news is that the DVD sales for both Firefly and Serenity have been remarkably high anyway - getting more awards certainly can't hurt. And more importantly, it's helping justify the production of the film to Universal.

I don't think Joss has moved on - or any of the cast. Yes, Joss is currently working on two other scripts (Wonder Woman and Goners) but he's said in a lot of interviews he wants to do sequels to Serenity if it's possible. Pretty much all of the cast have said they're up for doing sequels if Joss is (except perhaps for Gina Torres who said in a recent interview that it was a relief there is no sequel because of the Wash-Zoe relationship). It's still a possibility. Surely getting a sequel to a moderately successful film which has garnered a number of awards is easier than getting a major motion picture out of a cancelled TV series.