PDA

View Full Version : The Brothers Grimm

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Rocket Sheep
September 20th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Sorry for the lateness but it's just become available on Aussie cable... and, oh my, what great sound!

A couple of questions... the old soldier in the wooden wheelchair at the start, Terry Gilliam?

And there seems to be a hole in the resolution: what of the woodsman Daddy? He got buried by the tower but if someone thought to drag him free wouldn't he be okay? He was no more hurt than Will? Surely his daughters would be looking for him?

So good... such a great movie, oh the horse, the spiders, and the well-mud creature, and the French, and oh my, the sound... I love it when they put on proper sound with panning and deep bass. Top stuff, my compliments to the directors.

AJ_
September 20th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I didn't really care for this movie. I think it was the part with the cat that turned me off.

Evil Agent
September 20th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I liked it enough to buy it. I like almost any fantasy film, especially a dark one like this.. I also really like watching Monica Bellucci. :)

However, the film definitely had many flaws, including some really poor CGI.

Next time I watch this, I"ll pay more attention to the sound.

Rocket Sheep
September 21st, 2006, 12:45 AM
AJ, you have to realise if you see a cute fluffy kitten in any dark fantasy movie... it's only there for one reason. I blame the French for tasting it. Frogs, snails, The Rainbow Warrior, now kittens, mon dieu! Is nothing safe? ;)

Which CGI didn't you like, Evil Agent? I thought the wolf was supposed to look all abnormal and creepy. And I was just so impressed with the behaviour of the horse and the well-mud that I didn't notice the cgi.

The sound was awesome, all the back speakers were going, so there was a whole creepy moving forest behind us, branches cracking, wolves creeping, and the subsonic bass kept thumping the seats when things fell down... and probably the neighbours walls too... :rolleyes:

Evil Agent
September 21st, 2006, 01:59 AM
The CGI design and artwork was great, but the quality of the CGI seemed low-budget and rushed. The shading, or the rendering was off (I don't know that much about CGI, this is the best I can explain it). The worst part was when Hansel and Gretel are walking in the forest, and that cloth is floating around magically. The cloth looks incredibly fake! So do some of those bugs that are crawling all over stuff. Same problem with the wolf, if just stood out too much, didn't blend with the background... from what I gather, this is usually a symptom of rushed or under-funded CGI.

But yeah, I thought it was a pretty good, underrated movie. And I don't know what the big deal is about the cat part, I thought it was hilarious (and I'm a huge animal lover, and a huge cat lover with 2 cats of my own... so there!).:p

I thought there was a thread devoted to this film, but I can't find it...:confused:

Alex
September 21st, 2006, 07:26 AM
Are you guys talking about the brothers Grimm the movie?? With Heath Ledger and Matt damon?

I just have to say that it is one of the most boring films I have ever watched. I didn't get a feel for any of the characters nor did I find the plot especially intriguing. I thought since it was Terry Gilliam directing (I'm a huge Monthy Python fan) it would be a funny movie, but unfortunatly I don't remember myself laughing even once.

Maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea....

juzzza
September 21st, 2006, 07:32 AM
I hated this film and I am world-renowned (well, SFFWORLD-renowned at any case) for loving lousy movies.

I thought the leads were awful and I like them both in other features... I also think the director didn't quite know what he wanted the finished movie to be... a fairytale, dark fantasy, comedy, buddy movie? I hated it.

PigasusPress
September 21st, 2006, 07:58 AM
I saw Gilliam's BG, on DVD, about 6 months ago. Overall, it looks good, and is crammed with fairy tale imagery and story-riffs, but...
:(
I found there's a whole list of faults with it.

* Matt Damon proves that he (still) can't act
* Heath Ledger doesn't even try
* Monica Bellucci is wasted in a mere cameo
* The wonderful Lena Headey is nearly wasted, too
* There's far too much screen-time for Jonathan Pryce
* One of the most important visual effects is simply rubbish-CGI

&etc! :rolleyes:

Oh dear, I struggled through to a bitter ('happy'... ugh! shudders) ending, and switched off the DVD player thinking it's just Ghostbusters with warts.

Rocket Sheep
September 21st, 2006, 07:13 PM
You didn't find the Grimm referential stuff funny?

How many speakers did you watch it with? :D

And was it Terry Gilliam doing a cameo at the start?

I only didn't like the ending. The rest I thought, was great. Maybe Terry and I have got some borgian MP mind meld thing happening... I did watch MP during v. influential years.

Dawnstorm
September 21st, 2006, 09:48 PM
I hardly remember the film. I didn't hate it; I know that much. And quite a few scenes were fun (a lot of them involving horses). I liked Jonathan Pryce. I liked the visuals. I can't remember the sound.

It's not among my favourite Gilliam films (I love his style), but it was decent entertainment.