PDA

View Full Version : Children Of Men - Beware of Spoilers if you havn't seen it

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

arcangelle
September 30th, 2006, 07:49 AM
hey evryone went to see children of men last night and it was absolutely brilliant, hilarious but serious at the same time, the perfect mixture. clive owen was without a doubt excellent....of course i do have a few criticisms - firstly i think they should have used julianne moore more and they should not have killed her so early it would have a lot better to use the character more and then kill her later. also the ending was kind of disappointing it was still good but it would have been nice to see what happened after they were saved like what happened to the world, what changes happened because of the baby and if it made things better or worse! but on the whole it was excellent and i recommend it to anyone :D

Brys
October 1st, 2006, 04:38 AM
I see what you mean about killing off Juliann so early in the film, but I also think that worked very well. It set the tone for the rest of the film, and I didn't see it coming at all. In films, major characters don't die that early on. So it was very surprising. It also helped to steer away from a predictable romance between Theo and Juliann. I liked the ending - if they had actually shown the human project itself, I think it would have been disappointing. I don't think it could ever live up to what the rest of the film promised, and really, the film was about Theo. And by the end of the film, Theo was dead. We only saw it through his viewpoint. I think having the sound of children's laughter slowly come in at the end worked really well - it wasn't too specific in how things would change, not too utopian, but it still gave the sense that the protagonists had been successful. Children of Men was a brilliant film though. There should be more films like it.

arcangelle
October 1st, 2006, 05:22 AM
i do see what you mean about the ending and i did like it but i think it would have been better if at the end they did something like show news reports of the new world like a few years apart and ending in one saying how the problem was over i've seen films with that kind of thing before and i think it works well!!

Gildor
October 15th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Just watched this.

Amazing!

It had a great amount of shocking and thought provoking imagery, very bleak and overcast, lots of dirty ragged people and buildings. I loved the grimy streets of London. Plus it was really quite aggresive in places, lots of unexpected violence and gun shots, armed police beating the crap out of everyone, oppresive scenes abound.

It was an excellent film, though I found myself with a few misgivings, especially with the ending and the lack of a specific focus, though this is kind of a good thing aswell, though the boat at the end could have just been a fishing trawler or anything ... !!!

I can't get Michael Caine out of my head either

'Pull my finger!'