View Full Version : Robert Downey is slated to be Iron Man

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

ArthurFrayn
October 1st, 2006, 11:42 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/29/film.ironman.reut/index.html?section=cnn_showbiz

I don't know if I have a prob with that.

johnkarr
October 4th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I don't have a problem with his acting ability, but Tony Stark was at least a broad-shouldered dude. Unless Downey is going to bulk up, I don't really agree with the casting.

I'll still see it though.

kater
October 4th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure Downey is a great choice, sure he can bring a lot of experience and talent to the role but I've never bought him as an intelligent character (roles wise) and his reliability still has to be questioned, so it's surprising Marvel opted for him for their first, fully Marvel production (I think it is) I wouldn't have minded seeing Karl Urban in the role.
A few decent photoshop jobs in this thread: http://zcultfm.com/%7Ecomic/viewtopic.php?t=58383&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

ArthurFrayn
October 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
But the key is that Tony Stark is "suave dude'. So Downey could pull that off. I never understood why a guy that wears a powered armor suit had to be big anyway.

Having said that, you want to know who my pick for playing Tony Stark has been before I heard this? Jimmy Smits.

kater
October 6th, 2006, 06:39 AM
But the key is that Tony Stark is "suave dude'. So Downey could pull that off. I never understood why a guy that wears a powered armor suit had to be big anyway.

Serious heart problems, during the comic run the Iron Man suit has periodically kept Stark alive and he always needed to be fit and strong to aid his heart. Plus the whole playboy billionaire appearance and fame that brings, not to mention standing alongside Cap et al as the Avengers means Tony's ego simply wouldn't allow him to not look good. That is until he descended into alcoholism - something Downey would understand very well. There to seem to be a few interesting choices in the comic movies recently, Heath Ledger as the Joker is another one.

Muess
October 19th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Heath Ledger as the Joker!?????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

musick
October 19th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Heath Ledger as the Joker!?????? :eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek: :eek: right with ya, Mark Hamill all the way.:D
Robert Downey should fill Iron mans suit well, on film it dosent take much to create the illusion of broad shoulders, larger muscles etc...

johnkarr
October 19th, 2006, 09:52 AM
If memory serves, Mark Hamill was the Joker's voice in the animated Batman series on the WB network. Did a great job. He'd probably do well in the movie. Still mad they don't make the animated anymore. Thought it was cool.

kahnovitch
October 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Christian Bale might have been good as Iron Man if he wasn't the new Batman.

Mark Hamill actually did a good job as the voice of Wolverine in the PC game Wolverine's Revenge.

Don't know if this is exactly news, but I saw Nicholas Cage as Ghost Rider in a trailer a while back. Might be a decent flick.

kater
October 20th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Don't know if this is exactly news, but I saw Nicholas Cage as Ghost Rider in a trailer a while back. Might be a decent flick.

Hamill would have been a cool Joker and as someone elsewhere pointed out, the Joker is essentially ageless so it doesn't need some young up-and-comer to play him.

Cage is GR and the film looks half decent, it's close to ready and should set off another wave of comic book films for next year I assume with new Batman (I hope) Fantastic Four, Spiderman 3 and maybe even Iron Man.