View Full Version : Harry Dresden Files

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

sic's mom
October 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Well I was looking on the sci-fi channel this morning and they have a video clip from the new series based on Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden Files. I will say that the guy that will play Harry does look like how I picture him, but they are changing a lot of things from the books. But hopefully the series will still be good. But on his website Butcher says he is happy with how the series is shaping up. It supposed to start in Jan of 2007 and I for one will check in. Hopefully it will take off like Battlestar Galactica did.

Rob B
October 3rd, 2006, 08:23 PM
I'm looking forward to this, especially because of Butcher's approval. I've only read the first book, but I really enjoyed it. This is one of those series that I think would translate very well onto the screen.

AJ_
October 5th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this show. I'm in the middle of reading the third book of the Dresden series. There's a lot of action and humor in the books, I could see it translating well into a TV show. :)

Wulfa_Jones
October 27th, 2006, 06:38 AM
I'm looking forward to the show, but will have to download it as being in the UK who knows when, if at all, it will be picked up.

I know the back door pilot they made is based on the first book, but I wonder if they are going to base future episodes on the books or just do new stories?

My main worry is the effects, there will be quite a fair few effects in every episode if you go by the books - some very impressive but effects heavy scenes are described.

If they have a budget like BattleStar then it will be fine, even StarGate but any lower than that and it's going to look poor.

Wulfa_Jones
December 19th, 2006, 05:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmyf835DiEE

New trailer for Dresden.... looks pretty good! I was worried about the effects but based on that trailer it looks like they've do quite a good job.

Really looking forward to seeing it now.

Starts on Jan 21st in the US so looks like I'm going to have to download it to take a peek.

Jack
December 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Official page:

http://www.scifi.com/dresden/index.html

Looks cool! Also looks like BG is being moving to Sunday to air right after Dresden. Nice move by Sci-Fi. I'm in the middle of reading Storm Front, and stumbled upon this thread while searching the forums for others impressions on the rest of the series. Though I haven't even finished yet, I'm excited for the potential Butcher's world will have in the TV medium. I don't think it will be able to approach that sheer greatness that is BG, but then again they are two totally different types of stories.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's impressions after the premier. :)

Wulfa_Jones
January 6th, 2007, 01:33 PM
The offical site has been upgraded... and the main changes can be seen!

For starters.... Bob ain't a skull no more (according to reports he is going to be "spirit like) and there is a character called Kirmani who is Murphy's partner instead of Carmichael. Other changes I knew about already - Murphy's name and image change for example. Also, I can't recall if Morgan is black or not in the books (I'm sure he isn't) but in the TV series he is.

The only main characters missing from the books are Michael, Marcone, Thomas and the Alphas.

Michael and Thomas appear later in the books but Marcone is a pretty stable character and features heavily in Storm Front.

Also I wonder is McAnallys will appear...

I'm not really all that bothered about the changes and I'm still looking forward to the show.

-Asher-
January 12th, 2007, 09:35 AM
First review I've seen of Harry, the first two episodes, not really spoiler, but he gives the basic plots for the two episodes..

http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow.com/cgi-bin/mag.cgi?do=columns&vol=adams_john2&article=012

OUCH!

Best line from the review "In one of the episodes, a voice-over from Blackthorne informs us: "Wizard...it comes from the root word 'viz' - to see." Well, I'm no wizard, but I can see The Dresden Files' future, and what I see is...cancellation."

sic's mom
January 12th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I am really going to hate it if this show is no good since I have eagerly looked forward to it. But I will make up my own mind after I watch the premiere. And if it isn't any good, well the books are great and we still have those.

Wulfa_Jones
January 15th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Not a great review but then again the review was filled with some great typos so if the reviewer can't even be bothered to check their own work I'm not holding them very highly.

Jim Butcher has said he is happy with the show so it can't be all that bad, maybe it was just teething issues...

We shall see soon enough, but if the first two episodes are the ones reviewed I wonder when they will show Storm Front?