View Full Version : National Novel Writing Month 2006

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

choppy
October 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Well it's that time of year again... almost.

Time to lock up your inner editor and pound out another 1667 words per day. For anyone not familiar, this is a popular self-challenge to pump out a short novel over the course of a month by simply aiming for quantity with your writing.

Last year I was able to beaver down my heap o'words into a half-decent short story that's been picked up for publication. This year, I hope to do even better - although I still don't know what I'll be writing about.

The link is:
Nanowrimo (http://www.nanowrimo.org)

KatG
October 5th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Okay, here's what I don't get -- why November in the northern hemisphere? (It makes sense for the southern one.) Why not in the northern summer, when people take vacations and the kids are in camp and don't have homework every freaking day? And there are not holidays in which you have to drive to your family members for a whole weekend in the U.S. (Sorry, mom, I can't eat turkey, I'm writing my novel.) And holiday concerts, pageants, cards, shopping. And getting snow tires put on your car in many places. And end of the year conferences, sales meetings, budget reports, financial projections, quarterly taxes preparation?

I mean, if it were in June, I might give it a try to inspire me into getting a big chunk of my novel done. But November? I'm lucky if I get to sleep in November. But for those of you who are, say, in college and going home on break for a week, have fun. :)

Imelda
October 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Hey, it ain't easy for us uni students. I think I'm going to have to give it a miss this year because I'm working on my lab project :( 120 hours of lab time has to be clocked up, and the majority will be in November. I thought about doing it a month early, but it isn't fun if you know no one else is!

choppy
October 5th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I can't defend the choice of November. My guess is that during the summer months people are busy doing "outside" things. I'm sure there's a FAQ that addresses this somewhere on the website.

As for university - obviously school should be a priority. Lots of students are able to successfully manage it.

JBI
October 5th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I have quite a bit of spare time this month so I guess I'll begin a little creative writing. Not so sure that it will be a full out novel, but I guess I'll post what I write here. I already have a few good chracters in my character book that can be used. :eek:

Dazzlinkat
October 6th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Well, I plan on trying this. Another incentive to actually get my outline completed this month, too. How bad can it be? After all, do I really need sleep that month? :p

Jacquin
October 8th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Well I'll be trying it again. I doubt I'll finish it as I haven't managed to in the past two years, but if you don't try...

Avi Morgan
October 8th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Yay for living quietly in the southern united states! Novel: ...prepare to be written!!!

Tari
October 8th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I am doing it this year. But to comment on what Kat G said:

why November in the northern hemisphere? (It makes sense for the southern one.)

In the southern hemisphere (where I am happily located) we have final year exams in November! Final high school and uni exams run in November here. I admit June-ish would be worse. It's like the reverse of the northern - tax wise etc. But hey, we all make time somehow.

I'm looking forward to it. I did it last year and I am determined to make time furing my final high school exams for this. Hey even if i'm caught writing essays within my stories! lol.

Good luck all. :D And we hope something comes of it.

~ Tari

whitesilkbreeze
October 11th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Okay, here's what I don't get -- why November in the northern hemisphere? (It makes sense for the southern one.)

I think it's a mixture of "making the most of the miserable weather", finding excuses to not turn up at family gatherings, and commismerating with fellow Nanowriters about how impossible it all is and why can't it be any other month, etc. It could also be down to tradition -- the first year it was July, but the second year they made a website for it in time for November and it just went from there.

Every month will have people being busy, and part of the fun is supposed to be squeezing those few half hours out of your hectic schedule to write "a lot of crap". Perhaps people would be harsher on themselves about the quality of what they're writing if they had more time.

Heck, I'm clearly hypothesizing. I don't know a thing about why it's November except that it is November. All I know is that I'm participating in it again this year. I have a love-hate affair with Nano. ;)