View Full Version : Writing vs. Typing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Avi Morgan
October 16th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Just a random thought I had, decided to post, its getting a little stagnant around here :p ^_^

I type about as fast as I talk. Seriously. If I'm on the phone and I have to take a message, I hold the phone between my head and shoulder and type as they talk. If I'm writing in a notebook, my thoughts are WAY ahead of my writing. I'm a perfectionist ( naturally :p ) so a bunch of barely decipherable squiggly lines all across the page really wakes up the voice in my head, so I have to slow down and focus on my handwriting. I just do! :p But of course, all writers have to resort to a notebook occasionally.

So, Writing vs. Typing, what's everyone prefer? And why? ( Hey, I managed to kill 5 minutes! :p )

::Edit:: :eek: that's a lot of "stick out tongue"'s I put in there. It must be the medication :D

PlanetRetcon
October 16th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I recently had to go somewhere that I'd never been, and didn't have access to a printer, so I quickly copied down the important roads off of Google Maps, complete with names.

Halfway to my destination, I hit 3 roads that I couldn't tell what their names were because my handwritiing was so terrible. I remember telling the driver, "It's like Stonybrook. Or Sunnybrook. Or something," and he said "Who wrote that?" and I said "I did!"

So yeah, typing all the way.

:p :p :p :D

Avi Morgan
October 16th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Seriously? lol something very similar happened on a trip to Gulf Shores, AL last wednesday. My aunt had had access to a printer, and had been to Gulf Shores before, but she'd written a note about which road the house we'd rented was on, and she couldn't read her handwriting. We went around the place twice looking for Swampgrass Circle before I finally saw the sign "Sawgrass Circle" and asked if that was it :p

Shadowstorm
October 17th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Don't have a problem with both, equally adept at punching out stories either handwritten or typed. First started out writing stories and poetry pre ten in pencil/pen, typing came later. Only difference I noticed with myself is I detest rewrites or editing when I have typed out a story or poem as opposed to writing it out and then editing it as I type it up.

Either way I'm quite comfortable with both. In my previous jobs it helped I could write on a notepad at work and type up the story, in my current position it is more convienient to type it out in outlook and then email it to myself at the end of the day. Circumstances dictate what you become comfortable with eventually.

Liathano
October 17th, 2006, 11:09 AM
My computer I use for all my writing recently crashed! Ya I know, gasps all around.:eek:, so I started writing in a notebook since recovering my lost info. I find I am more focused when writing it out because I am also a perfectionist. When typing it out it gets a complete edit. I have found this is a better way to critique my work rather than just reading it.

So while I still use both methods I'm going to have to say I like writing it out by hand first. ;)

Shadowstorm
October 17th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Would agree with that, considering I got over 70K words done through various notepads it is definately a an easier way to check your work out. Though I tend not to think about what I write at the time of doing it, and neither am I a perfectionist in that sense. So long as I believe the story is engaging enough for me to read it afterwards then it remains unchanged. In the manner of my fav authors, Gemmell (RIP), Erikksson, Barclays,Bakker, and Fiest, material has to be good enough to be worth a another read or two. That is what I base my critique on, that said I still find it annoying to have edit when typing.

Feel your pain on the pc, speaking as a victim whos just lost three pc's in the space of a month. Currently carrying me works around everywhere on a pen drive. The only copies in existence. Deuce dangerous I know.

Avi Morgan
October 17th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I use to find that if I wrote something out, I would edit it when typing it to the point that I might as well have started out typing it in the first place, because by the time I'm through typing it, its so much different. I met my fiance online ( I know, I know, but I love him and my family's met him and like him plus I got a shiny ring so it's all good :p ) so that's one of the main reasons for becoming really really fast at typing. I just think too quickly to write on a notepad even though I can do it. I end up scratching things out and re-writing it because the thought will change. I'm revising things before I've got the first thought completely out and I confuse myself, lol.

Optimutt
October 18th, 2006, 08:23 PM
You should see my notebooks. Half of them (I have 7 going right now. Each has its own purpose) look like they were the casualties of a colored pen war, complete wtih lines, corrections, cross-outs, squiggly section replacers, and so on. If suddenly I don't like the area the thought is headed, I scratch and erase until I made the mistake and take it all up again. But I can write and type about as fast as one another. The only difference is that longhand, I can accomplish far more because I can lose myself better. The thoughts flow far more smoothly from a single hand than two that have to contend with spelling, punctuation, and other annoying little things like that. With the single hand, it's all twist, zip, curve, dot, and my head is gone to a world far far away.

Optimutt
October 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM
*Sorry for the double post. The Great Firewall of China has slowed my system this morning.*

Avi Morgan
October 18th, 2006, 08:40 PM
:eek: But its so messy! How can you stand it?! *perfectionist smile, shiny white teeth*

... okay... so my teeth are a little crooked and have reacted badly to sweets, but they really are white! *obsessed with the whiteness of teeth as well as proper english* :D

And don't you dare insult my two hands and their beloved keyboard! I FOUND TRUE LOVE WITH THIS THING! :D