PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify this novel!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Dr.Khron
October 17th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I think its Britsh novel, but I can't remember the name or author... It takes place in a dismal future, where the major cities are walled off becuse they are full of poor people. Violent, warring gangs run the cities, and distribute the food that comes in welfare trucks. There is however, technology for interstellar travel, as well as contact with aliens.

One of the leaders of one of the gangs is unually smart, and is kidnapped by a shadowy government agency. They kidnap him becuase he has latent psionic/telepathic abilities. They dump him off, alone, on a planet inhabited by aliens with strong psionic/telepathic abilities, so much so that they never speak verbally to each other. The aliens are described as bear-like, since they evolved from "ursine" creatures, not primates.

After struggling for a while, he finally develops his abilities, and the aliens take him under thier wing and train him further (at first they won't help him at all).

Later, he is retrived and brought back to earth, presumably to be used as a weapon. He tries to return to his gang, but they reject him, beucase they feel that he left them when they needed him.

I can't remember how it ends.

I got this from the public library in the mid 80's, so I'm guessing that it was written between '75 and '85.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.!

-Dr.K

KatG
October 18th, 2006, 01:17 PM
The first thing that came to my mind was "Catspaw" by Joan D. Vinge, but that's not necessarily it.

Dr.Khron
October 18th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Hmmmm, close but no cigar.
Defintely a similar plot, tho. Thanks anyway.