PDA

View Full Version : Appendix and tolkien's fantasy.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Protagonist
October 20th, 2006, 01:54 AM
My favourite genre is fantasy so ergo I like to write fantasy, at the moment I'm working hard at a novel. It's an epic fantasy with a huge history behind it and a stretch of mythology and legend. It also slowly evolves to something more but something I am so far unable to define.
I suppose my question is this; is it okay for a new writer to start writing epic fantasy with a elaborate history, maps etc in the style of tolkien? Is it a suitable first step? Also what is the appendix exactly? I've asked a few people and had some varied answers.

PlanetRetcon
October 20th, 2006, 02:38 AM
My favourite genre is fantasy so ergo I like to write fantasy, at the moment I'm working hard at a novel. It's an epic fantasy with a huge history behind it and a stretch of mythology and legend. It also slowly evolves to something more but something I am so far unable to define.
I suppose my question is this; is it okay for a new writer to start writing epic fantasy with a elaborate history, maps etc in the style of tolkien? Is it a suitable first step? Also what is the appendix exactly? I've asked a few people and had some varied answers.

I don't see why not, execpt the obvious warning that you may get in over your head and flounder.

The appendix is a little pouch that sticks out of your large intestine. Oh, you mean in a book? It's extra stuff that you don't *need* in your story, but could be useful or interesting to the reader, so you stuff it all at the end. Check the last book of LOTR, those are appendices.

BrianC
October 20th, 2006, 07:55 AM
I suppose my question is this; is it okay for a new writer to start writing epic fantasy with a elaborate history, maps etc in the style of tolkien? Is it a suitable first step? Absolutely okay, in fact approximately nine hundred and seventy-six billion other first-time fantasy authors are doing just that--oh, and every single one of them is a unique departure from the old genre cliches. :) Seriously, it is of course just fine for you to write what you want to write. It's hard enough work as it is. I would adivse that you worry first about writing a compelling story, and then figure out what--if anything you want to put into your appendices.

Avi Morgan
October 20th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I always work on making an outline of a story plot, and then I delve into the history and religions of that world. It serves to make the world more realistic, and I feel more a part of it, and so it also makes it easier for me to write in it. I think most good fantasy books have deep histories and mythologies like that. Its simply a part of fantasy.

MrBF1V3
October 21st, 2006, 01:50 AM
I typically end up with enough material in the 'back story' to match the actual story. I am, however, reticent to share all that stuff, apendices notwithstanding. Generally I generate all that stuff to help me write the story, none of it is the story. But that's just me.

B5

Dazzlinkat
October 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM
Think I am more like B5. I have enough background, history etc for my story I could write a complete history book! (Course, The History of Sythirond probably wouldn't sell very well.) I dont plan on adding any appendices, especially since I plan on using this world for several stories. Bits of history/mythology will come out as they are needed. I do, however, have a Lexicon and Beastiary to go at the end of my current WIP.

BrianC
October 21st, 2006, 03:58 PM
Umm, Dazz? Those are appendices. :cool:

Dazzlinkat
October 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM
AArrgghh! OOps! Ok, guess I do have appendices then. :o

Hmm, ok, I dont intend to add extra historical/mythologcal appendices.