PDA

View Full Version : To blog or not to blog?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Avi Morgan
October 20th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Allo, allo! Its the infamous random thread starter known as Avi! :D How is everyone? Good, I hope! Any way, moving on now:

I've noticed that a lot of writers have blogs. Personally, I don't like blogs or blogging. Or, that's how it use to be, once upon a time.

But, alas and alack! I, Avi Morgan, have been drawn into the world-wide-plague of blogging that has swept the world over! Why? To let people know me and Charlie are here, of course! Why wait until we're published to start the subtle "buy-our-work" messaging? :p

Now, being the naturally curious person I am, I'm wondering just how much maintaining a blog helps writers in reaching people/fans. What're y'all's views on writers and blogging?

JamesL
October 20th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Hi Avi. :)

You might like to check out the sticky above about self-promotion, as there is some discussion about blogs in that.

Personally, I think blogs are swiftly becoming a vital form of media for promoting your work.

I maintain a live journal - http://jgthomas.livejournal.com/ - where I write about the experience of writing my novel. I do this largely for my benefit, as I find it extremely helpful to talk about my characters/plot, as it helps to get these clearer in my head. I've also made several friends who have offered some sage advice.

Overall, I would say that, in my experience, blogging has a variety of uses and advantages. ;)

mistri
October 22nd, 2006, 07:36 PM
I have a livejournal as well. I enjoy it because it's a useful network, yet less formal (to me) than a blog. Back when I had a proper blog, I felt compelled to have long posts. On livejournal I feel more free to put up short updates, as I know the majority of people reading are only my livejournal 'friends'.

If I ever sell a book, I may consider an 'official' blog, to go alongside my livejournal.

Avi Morgan
October 22nd, 2006, 07:41 PM
Not sure what you mean by an "official" blog, but I'm kinda shopping for blogs :p I like livejournal, but I'm wondering if I might find something I like better. Maybe I'll maintain two blogs, and the livejournal will be a smaller version! *confuses self* Yeah I'm gonna shut up, I got 3 hours of sleep and brain not working right <_<

James Barclay
October 23rd, 2006, 07:40 AM
Blogging is good for self-promotion, can be a cathartic process depending on what you blog about and, of course, it keeps you writing if you are a regular blogger.

If you don't want to go via a blogging website, you can always choose a domain name of your choice and build yourself a blog from there. It's what I'm doing as it happens because I want to blither on about sports and so am dedicating a website to that and having links to my other work from there. The idea is to get known by the sports blogging community and hope some are keen enough to look at my fantasy writing as a result. Got to be worth a try and anyway, there's nothing I love more than pontificating about sport. Should be live soonish...

NOM