View Full Version : Torchwood

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gildor
October 26th, 2006, 11:06 AM
What did people think of this? It was shown on BBC3 on Sunday I think? But I managed to catch it on BBC2.

I watched it not being a Who fan, I dunno I just never got into the recent one or for that matter any other series, and I was very entertained by what I saw, Cardiff was brought to life very well, it was very funny, it was a much more grittier and 'Adult' viewing e.g. Sex, some swearing, spurting blood etc. But whatever it's got me hooked.

Leiali
October 26th, 2006, 11:58 AM
The Observer newspaper write up made a good point, saying Torchwood was Angel to Dr Who's Buffy. Says it all really. They showed two episodes on BBC3, and the second one wasn't quite as good as the first I thought, as it seemed to want to emphasise it was for grown ups a bit too much. Hopefully it will settle down a bit and get rid of that concern. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Does make you wonder how that can be so good (and Dr Who for that matter) and Robin Hood be so utterly utterly bad. I'll save my tirade for another thread I think!

ChronoSerge
October 26th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I liked the first episode more, and I think the second episode was just meant to comfirm the target audience of the series :P The show certainly looks promising, and and I like the fact that Jack Harkness has an American accent :) Makes the show feel a little more at home for me.

Wulfa_Jones
October 27th, 2006, 06:28 AM
I didn't really like it that much.... the Dr (medical not time lord) character wasn't very likeable and every male character seems to be a either gay or bi - clearly RTD wanting to make a point. In fact none of the characters seem to likeable at the moment, even Captain Jack, who has clearly become a much darker character than he was in Who.

It was ok and the special effects weren't too bad either.

The 1st episode had a nice twist but I didn't think much of the second one. 3rd episode trailer doesn't look too promising either.

Also, why does Captain Jack run around wearing 1940's clothing all the time? The great coat is pretty cool but the braces and collerless shirt? Seems a bit daft.

kged
October 27th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I thought it was really pretty bad, to be honest. Very arch, very pleased with itself - and you just know the production team were thrilled by the thought of having a character swear in the opening scene - "this'll show 'em, it's a real grown-up show, this is!" It probably deserves to get a footnote in TV history as the earliest a show has ever resorted to having a lesbian kiss on screen; most poor programmes use that as one of their last attempts to stave off shark-jumping.

Disappointing. But it's nice to see Cardiff on screen, I like Cardiff.

briruc
November 3rd, 2006, 10:47 AM
I agree with kged - they seem to think doing TV for adults just means adding a bit of sex and swearing and violence to Dr Who. That said, the third episode was a bit of an improvement on the second, I thought (if only because it's the first episode in which the plot didn't rely on the characters doing really stupid things.) I might give it another couple of episodes to convince me.

Hobbit
November 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM
You know, I keep waiting and hoping that Torchwood will develop into something good - you know, with quality scripts and characterisation, something that really makes you think and makes you think 'that was worth watching'.

But no.

The latest episode (Episode 4) failed on just about every count - poor acting, abysmal dialogue, plot holes so big you could drive a Dalek battle fleet through: just very bad, all round.

And I was hoping this could be a breakthrough series.....

Hobbit

Ouroboros
November 7th, 2006, 08:42 AM
To be honest, I don't think the breathless anticipation which the British SF press awaited Torchwood with did the series any favours. It was never going to live up to the hype.

Broadly speaking I think it's a pleasant enough series, but in terms of production values, writing and acting, it is ten years behind what is happening in the US.

The bar has risen, thanks to shows like 'Battlestar Galactica' and a plethora of lesser-known little shows. Quirky britishness alone isn't enough.

briruc
November 7th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I think Ouroboros is spot on: my reaction to it's about disappointed expectations as much as the show itself. I agree those who didn't have so much probably foolish hope invested in it probably find it pleasant enough, but it really does suffer terribly in comparison with the best US sf/f shows, and that puzzles me - I mean, have the the writers, producers, directors etc of Torchwood not been paying attention to what's been coming out of the States for the past few years? It can't be beyond the capabilities of the BBC to get really good actors and scripts for a supposedly flagship show like this (actually, it might be unfair to knock the actors too much - if they had great scripts to work with, they'd probably all be very good). I've just got a nagging feeling they let silly plotting and ludicrous characterisation get through because 'it's sci-fi, the audience won't notice'. I'd be mildly interested to know how many of the people involved in producing Torchwood actually watch or read loads of sf/f other than Dr. Who, and how many of them really like it.

Anyway, that'll teach me for letting my expectations get pumped up by a media blitz. I still hope it makes it into a second series, so it at least has a chance to mature.

Hobbit
November 7th, 2006, 01:18 PM
LOL. Speaking for myself, I think I can safely say that I was not too swept up by the media hype, having avoided all except the Radio Times so far.

And to explain further, I was prepared to give the series time to settle in.

But the point has been made: comparing Torchwood with Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Lost, even StarGate SG1, X-Files, Millennium, CSI and the like, the series is way behind.

To answer further, Brian, I understand quite a few of the people involved quite like SF, but whether it goes further than Dr Who and say, Buffy/Angel - hmm.

As these days overseas sales are the thing (not to mention DVD and the like) I suspect it will get through to a second series. Sadly, I'm just not sure I'll be there to watch.

Hobbit