PDA

View Full Version : Robin Hood Robin Hood Riding Through the Glen...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Leiali
October 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I can't see a thread for this so I thought I would start one. What did people think? My thoughts were that it was Utterly Rubbish.

a. The actors never seemed to know which way their characters were going - am I funny? am I bad? am I a bit of both? rakish? stroppy? Noone knew what on earth was going on as far as I could tell.

b. The hair and make up in the first fifteen minutes put me off. I am not pedantic usually but full on heavy mascara in the nottingham forest circa the dark ages? Methinks not. And don't get my mate who is good at making costumes started on the chain mail....or string mail spray painted with cheap silver paint should I say.

c. I didn't really find Robin all that appealing. I did however, think Guy of Gisborne was. In the Robin Hood of the 80's, I don't remember being interested in Guy of Gisborne.....Perhaps I am older and wiser? Or Richard Armitage has more charisma and charm than the bloke playing Robin whose name I haven't even bothered to find out?

d. The dialogue is atrocious and as far as I can tell aimed at the lowest common denominator. Its time slot predecessor Dr Who never fell into that trap, and its historical predecessor Robin Hood (The hooded Man) never did either from my recollections.

What went wrong? I don't know, but I intend to tune in each saturday night to find out - it is that bad it is fascinating!

I didn't know if any of this should be spoilered or not, so apologies if I miscalled it.

Wulfa_Jones
October 27th, 2006, 06:33 AM
I have to say I don't mind it... 3 episodes in and it is watchable but not brilliant. I do like the 80's Robin and wish they'd make it more like that - with the supernatural/fantasy element.

The 1st episode had rather bad acting but it seems to be getting better.

Of course the fact Robin has clearly been to Ye Ole Tony and Guy is slightly off putting.

Hobbit
October 27th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Oh dear.... as someone from the merrie olde Nottingham, I can't say I'm impressed.

Even if I ignored that, as there was a character last week in a hooded top, I'm tempted to rename it Robin Hoodie (outlawed from Nottingham's shopping centres for dreadful fashion sense... ;) )

I rather suspected we were on a loser when Guy of Gisbourne looks like he's a motorbike courier in his spare time....

Even if I tried not to take it seriously, the dialogue, the acting is awesomely bad (though I am not usually a violent person, I really really want to slap the character forever now known as Mulch)

I thought Robin Hood Prince of Thieves was bad, but this is worse. Agree, Leiali.

I think the Richard Carpenter ITV version, even with cheesy music and 80's style haircuts is so much better.

....but my 10 year old loves it.

I understand the viewing ratings are sinking fast...

...and there is, of course, no truth to the rumour that viewers are setting up a fund to have the film returned to the people who stole it... :)

Hobbit

Leiali
October 27th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Hm... Just home from the annual beer festival here in Norwich. Worse for wear or what...

I really really want to slap the character forever now known as Mulch

Back of the queue Hobbit - Much the Miller doesn't do much milling...

show your ten year old the 80's Michael Praed version, I would have been about 10 then and loved it.....

I went to Nottingham the other weekend as a good friend of mine lives nearby!

Of course the fact Robin has clearly been to Ye Ole Tony and Guy is slightly off putting.

slightly wulfa? Just a bit?!

This post took twice as long to write as usual...Real Ale does not do you any favours.

Gildor
October 28th, 2006, 07:53 AM
It is quite bad, though it's certainly passable for some minor entertainment .. though the way Robin has superhuman ability with his bow and arrow always makes me cringe, some of the shots he makes just defy belief, and so you know that whatever happens to Robin, he can always get out of a sticky situtation as long as he can get he can get a few shots off, that always find the target.

Mithfânion
October 28th, 2006, 10:21 AM
It is really quite awful. There are so many cringe-inducing scenes, it's really hard to believe this is done by the BBC. Embarrassing really. I can name 5 or 5 moments in the first episode alone which were just amazingly absurd.

What is the market for this show, 5 year olds?

Wulfa_Jones
November 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM
Upon viewing it again I've decided that it's a little like a slightly higher budgeted version of stuff like Xena and all the many awful shows that came because of it's success.

The "no killing" rule is clearly a device to keep the show for the family but is painfully to watch. Almost as bad as the no killing rule in the Robocop series.

There seems to be a complete lack of action, excitement or tension.

Also, the thing that really annoys me – the “location” subtitles are bad enough on there own (appearing every 5 minutes or so), but the arrow sound every time they appear? Is that really necessary?

The “dog tags” as well… methinks potential merchandising device….

Overall a great disappointment.

Hobbit
November 2nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
Actually I didn't mind Xena, or Hercules for that matter, though they really didn't follow the legends that carefully either.... certainly preferred it to this.

Hobbit

funky_fantasist
November 3rd, 2006, 12:21 PM
I must be getting old, methinks. I just spent the whole time I was watching it muttering - "Wash your hair, for gawds sake, you greasy little oik!" and "OMG, Robin Hood's a ned!"

:rolleyes:

Sophia
November 10th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Definately agreeing with you lot... Robin couldnt fight his way out of a paper bag, even though he does pretend to be old enough to sprout bum fluff on his chin.

Now Guy..... oh yes.....:) :) :)