PDA

View Full Version : Need help with old sci-fi movie title

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Dr_T
October 26th, 2006, 05:59 PM
In my youth (too many years ago), I saw a sci-fi movie (probably black and white, but with a b+w TV in the 1960s it was hard to tell if the movie was color) about some people in a building in a desert (SW USA) who ended up battling ants (normal ones, not giant mutated ants). The ants would do things like eat through electric wire insulation and form a suicide chain to short-out radios and other equipment. The people soon realized that the ants were being directed by one or more aliens (never seen). The aliens were conducting an experiment to see whether ants or humans would be more useful. Near the end of the movie, only two people were left (man and woman). Any ideas?

B5B7
October 27th, 2006, 12:31 AM
This sounds a lot like Phase IV - a movie from the early 1970's.
Phase IV (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070531/).
I read the novel of this several years before I saw the movie, and if I recall correctly thought it was rather ordinary, but that the movie was fairly good.
Technically speaking the novel is a novelisation of the movie - it's by Barry Malzberg [once a very well known SF author], and I for some reason found it to be interesting but unbelievable, very flawed story - yet I did not have this problem with the movie itself.

Dr_T
October 28th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I read the descriptions of Phase IV on IMDB and Amazon.com, and it is the movie I remembered. Thanks for your help.

I thought it was an older black and white movie because that's how I saw it. (Back in the old antenna days, a color movie could end up black and white due to very poor reception and our nearly dead TV.)