PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know this book?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

fiardan
October 29th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Years ago I read a scifi book lent to me by a classmate. I can not remember the title or the author, only the story. If anyone recognizes this, please let me know, I'd like to get a copy and reread it. The story line was of a race of men and a race of "giants", lesser intelligence, greater stature and strength. The two central characters (one of each race) were grunts on a moonbase. A catastrophic war takes place on Earth. During the war, weapons are fired at the moonbases, resulting in slowing the moon's rotation, such that only one face shows toward Earth. The two spend the rest of the book figuring out how to get back to Earth where they have some chance of surviving. The book ends with an anthropological dig in Africa, where a shoe print and a watch, belonging to the human survivor, is found and thought to be a joke by one of the assistants. The book was better than my description, but if it is recognizable to anyone... :D Thanks.

aspic
October 29th, 2006, 10:02 AM
A catastrophic war takes place on Earth. During the war, weapons are fired at the moonbases, resulting in slowing the moon's rotation, such that only one face shows toward Earth.

Erm... sure about that? Only one face of the moon shows towards Earth at the moment. If your memory is right and this book is set on Earth then I would guess that it is set in hypothetical past rather than some possible future.

Doubt if that helped, but you never know...

fiardan
October 29th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Aspic:

I wasn't clear in my description, my apologies. The story appears to be in the future, until the anthropology dig, which is current day. Thus the story really is in the far past. As perhaps we are a second evolution.

Thanks,
fiardan

baldcavalier
October 31st, 2006, 03:12 PM
Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan is the beginning novel of a series with a background similar to what you mention.