PDA

View Full Version : Help me ID these books?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Tangent
October 30th, 2006, 12:31 AM
There are a few books I've read that I'm dying to re-read but I can't remember what they were called. The first is a trilogy which takes place present day. Some aliens that are at war with a virtually unstoppable enemy stumble across earth looking for races that might help them. The main character is a human writer that happens to be a pacifist but when the aliens happen to meet him first his instinctive reactions shock them because all the other races are very slow and non-aggressive compared to humans. Even though humanity is technologically backwards our aggression and physical prowess help turn the tide against the aliens that have a mind-control ability that's also somehow instinctively blocked by humans.

Sounds kind of cheesy by my description but it's alot of fun...

The second is one where an alien race contacts humanity and appears to be benevolent. They offer technology a piece at a time for us to use, but in the end our hero discovers that the options of which tech we get is really the same thing described differently, and osme of it is intentionally flawed as to lead to the destruction of humanity and our hero must find a way to stop them. One of the parts I remember is that the human hero used a computer interface that generated a kind of interactive reality with different things represented as "metaphors". Also near the end the hero ends up copying himself thousands of times with one of the bits of tech in order to help with the fight...

B5B7
October 31st, 2006, 03:15 AM
The trilogy is Alan Dean Foster's 'The Damned' series [A Call to Arms, The False Mirror, The Spoils of War].
Can't identify the other novel.

Tangent
November 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
The trilogy is Alan Dean Foster's 'The Damned' series [A Call to Arms, The False Mirror, The Spoils of War].
Can't identify the other novel.

Thanks! I found the other ones on my own: Signal to Noise by Eric S Nylund