PDA

View Full Version : Distinct lack of creativity

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

crystalwizard
November 3rd, 2006, 07:22 AM
I've got two challenges I'm supposed to be writing for, both with a picture prompt, and I can not get my brain to do anything more than react like a snail in mid-winter. Frustrating.

What do you guys do when your imagination goes awol and leaves you stranded, especially if you're facing a deadline that's one week away?

JamesL
November 3rd, 2006, 07:43 AM
The best thing to is just to write. If you can't think of anything to write, just describe exactly what you see in the picture and then take it from there. Hopefully the actual process of writing those words will help your brain to kick into gear.

If I'm stuck for inspiration, I tend to listen to music or read a bit and this usually helps. Getting frustrated over your situation won't help. Just take a step back and try to relax a bit.

Liathano
November 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Same for me. Music is a huge muse. When I am stuck for creativity I listen to all kinds to get the brain working. I listen closely to the words and piture what it is I'm trying to write about and usually it just starts moving from there.:rolleyes:

MrBF1V3
November 3rd, 2006, 06:09 PM
Deadlines tend to stress, and stress derails creativity.

Generally if I can get a first sentence, a sufficiently loaded first sentence, I can take off. For example: "Gerry was having a great day, at least until he opened his front door." And I'm off.

And I'm off...

B5

Michael B
November 4th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Same for me. Music is a huge muse. When I am stuck for creativity I listen to all kinds to get the brain working. I listen closely to the words and piture what it is I'm trying to write about and usually it just starts moving from there.:rolleyes:
That makes three of us. I have set a target of one piece of flash fiction per month until next April then take the best one/two and enter them in a competition. So far I have one old story pared down, one new one that does not make the grade and a load of half ideas bouncing around.

Aeflin
November 4th, 2006, 11:25 AM
This post is probably late on the subject, but here's what I do:

1) Clean the surrounding writing area in an OCD manner, dust, vacuum, remove clutter.

2) Put on a type of music that conjures images to stimulate the movie projector in you brain to start "rolling". I recommend: Vangelis, Soundtracks, Classical, or other neo-classical music that is sometimes lumped into New Age.

3) Spend a few minutes gazing at the cover art of your favorite books while trying to remember your favorite parts of that book.

4) Brew a pot of aromatic coffee, and then drink up.

5) Light some candles in the room.

If any of these, or the combination of these is not enough, go for a walk in the woods, and imaging you are being hunted by a pack of demon wolves... or something to get your creative juices flowing.

Good luck.
Aeflin

Kreschyboy
November 9th, 2006, 01:17 AM
When i just can't write i come and procrastinate on these forums... damn, got to get back to work. NaNoWriMo's a killer.

-Kreschyboy