PDA

View Full Version : Who are some "lesser known" authors you would recoment?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Azurehero
November 7th, 2000, 07:57 AM
There are a lot of fantasy books out there, and not all of the authors are as famous as your Robert Jordans and your Terry Brooks.

Who are some lesser known authors that you really like and why?

One of mine would be Deborah Chester, who has a really good narrative flow, great main characters and minor characters, and really good fight scenes.

The books she wrote (that I'm talking about anyway): Reign of Shadows, Shadow War and the last book, Realm of Light.

Cellandros
November 7th, 2000, 11:45 AM
Gregory Keyes. He's done some nice things including a fun alternate-fantasy-history, and his first duology, Choosen of the Changling was an absolutely incredible story. I highly reccomend him to anyone.

Eventine
November 7th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Not many people seem to have heard of Kate Elliot, and she has imo one of the best new series out.

mistressoftheforce
November 7th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Traci Harding, an fabulous(I think Aussie) author. She has written some awesome fantasy, history type novels that aren't really that well known. Well worth reading though.

mistressoftheforce
November 7th, 2000, 12:17 PM
Traci Harding, a fabulous(I think Aussie) author. She has written some awesome fantasy, history type novels that aren't really that well known. Well worth reading though.

Lady Fox
November 7th, 2000, 01:36 PM
I agree Eventine. Kate Elliot is fabulous. I also really like Michelle West who has two good fantasy series that loosely tie together - The Sacred Hunt and The Sun Sword. Anne Bishop is another author that I haven't seen mentioned very often. She has a trilogy called The Black Jewels and a stand-alone prequel called The Invisible Ring.

Sojourn
November 7th, 2000, 10:35 PM
Now, I may be wrong in this, but C. J. Cherryh is probably a well-known sci-fi author. However, I've never read any of her sci-fi works, but her first(?) fantasy foray titled 'Fortress in the Eye of Time' was a very enjoyable and satisfying read. Since its release in 1995, she has released two more sequel books, 'Fortress of Eagles' and 'Fortress of Owls', which form the 'Galasien Novels' series.

Before I'm accused of ignoring the thread topic, I'll admit that while Cherryh may not count as a 'less well known' author, I don't think she's as popular for her fantasy novels as she is for her sci-fi. So I guess in a way, she's not really a major player in the fantasy field like the household names.

IMHO... ^_^

Alex
November 8th, 2000, 01:32 AM
Try David Gemmel.... He is incredible!!!!
He writes heroic fantasy and he is good at it.

Rob B
November 8th, 2000, 03:18 AM
Actually Cherryh published fantasy prior to the Fortress series: The Dreaming Tree a two volume fantasy published in the 70's repackaged as one book a few years ago. However I did not like it and could not even finish it.

Gemmel is hugely popular in the United Kingdom.

Steven Brust is very good. Don't know if he is considered "lesser known" but I don't see much mention of him on this BB.

Orson Scott Card while known for his Science Fiction (Ender, Homecoming) has written a considerable amount of Fantasy (Alvin series, Enchantment, etc.)

Shadowen
November 8th, 2000, 11:12 PM
I have to agree with everyone who mentioned Kate Elliott - I think she's brilliant. I'm halfway through Child of Flame at the moment, and am really enjoying it.

Lynn Flewelling is pretty good, tho I've just read one of hers. I've also enjoyed Sara Douglass's books ( I think she's another Aussie).

Can't think of any more at the moment!