PDA

View Full Version : Has Final Fantasy Jumped the Shark?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

saintjon
November 9th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Seriously, I bought FFXII last weekend, I haven't played it much but it doesn't seem all that compelling so far. The story is decent enough but the gameplay isn't very compelling. It also kind of loses points with me for having the License system.

I don't mind having some flexibility in character builds but they throw you this damn license board, you have no idea of what skills there even are to build towards, and you have to decide what build you want for every single character? What a pain in the butt. Would it have killed them to put in a recommendation system, like if you want to build a character more towards monk, then buy these licenses etc. ?

One of the things I really like about the earlier games was that characters having unique skills adds something to the individuality of the character, when everyone can be built to do the same things it makes them all seem kind of fake in a way.

Erfael
November 9th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I don't know. I've been having much more fun with this one than any of the last several, really. Feels much more like Final Fantasy to me. I don't find the license system all that overwhelming, either. Without opening too much up, it seems fairly obvious to me where things are. And even if not, spending just a few points on "exploratory" skills usually makes it clear for me. They win BIG points from me for doing away with 50 random battles to go ten feet. So all in all, it IS different from the last few offerings, but I think the changes are for the good. Just my opinion, but it all works for me.

As to specializations, characters are starting in slightly different directions on the license grid, so they're tending towards certain specializations anyway. Taking the path of least resistance with them would keep them in those specializations.

So far, my favorite FF game since maybe VI.

I should mention, I am by no means hardcore. I haven't finished a FF game SINCE VI. Almost finished VII, but it bugged on me and I didn't have a save far enough back to fix it easily. VIII, IX, X, got up to the very end, didn't bother finishing. X-2, can't bring myself to play it for more than about 4 hours.....*shudder* If it jumped shark anywhere, I think it was X-2. Seems like they're back on course now, though.

saintjon
November 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Yeah I've been playing it some more and it does seem to be diggin in a bit.

Have you tried running from anything? I just had a total party wipe trying to get back to the save point. I hope there's some kind of speed boost skill like they had in the online one or I don't see how it's ever going to be feasible to run away.

saintjon
November 10th, 2006, 07:35 AM
It would seem the game is now making it necessary to run away, lest my party be annihilated by a lizard man wielding a circular saw on the end of a large stick who appears to be far too tough to fight directly.

Other than the aforementioned sawpole contraption this installment has had impressively practical looking weapons, which I really appreciate.

Alex Gibson
January 11th, 2007, 08:37 PM
ok, now I want it. Not out in the UK yet.:(

saintjon
February 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I definitely put this thread up way too soon. I'm about 35 hours in now and enjoying it immensely. My one serious gripe remains that you have to farm too much early in the game, or you'll never be able to afford all the stuff your party needs (spells, gear, technicks and items for 6 characters takes a LOT of dough). For anyone getting into this game, it is IMPERATIVE to save up and buy the 18K Forgotten Grimoire as soon as possible!!!!

Alex Gibson
March 5th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I agree. I'm 60 hours and this is the best game i've ever played. Free Dalmasca!

Ishmayl
April 6th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I kinda like FFXII, but not as much as IV, V, VI, and IX. I beat VII once, but couldn't go back and replay it, VIII just pissed me off, and I never made it past the first major movie in X before I figured the entire game was nothing more than just a few hits of the buttons to transfer you from movie to movie.

saintjon
April 8th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Couldn't agree with you more.

TwilitOne
May 14th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Random question:

Is there a Final Fantasy X movie? If so, I want it.:)